The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:53 pm How are you guys coping with Dudley in Scotland ? In East Ang!ia it's not to bad, just a few twigs falling from the trees nothing major. The surprising thing was it was so hot i was sweltering this morning walking the dog ... not used to that recently.
Interesting walk home from work tonight, Dudley was even battering my not so slight frame around, also it's taken a panel oot my fence :evil:
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:22 pm
brian f wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:53 pm How are you guys coping with Dudley in Scotland ? In East Ang!ia it's not to bad, just a few twigs falling from the trees nothing major. The surprising thing was it was so hot i was sweltering this morning walking the dog ... not used to that recently.
Interesting walk home from work tonight, Dudley was even battering my not so slight frame around, also it's taken a panel oot my fence :evil:
Sorry bigman bad news i have just been reading.
Another Storm is arriving shortly (Eunice) probably the worst since the Burns Day Storm in 1990 :evil:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Think your neck of the woods will be hit worse by Eunice, looks like we'll get the leading edge of it which will be more snow than wind. Another storm brewing for Sunday as well. You've got to love February :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We were in Arran Brian - and thought we were going to get marooned there until Saturday, but we got the first ferry out today at 2pm - we were actually booked on that one. Visited the new distillery at Lagg - it was well worth the visit - really interesting. They won’t have their first bottle on sale til next month - 3 years and 1 day after they put it into the casks. It’s owned by the same company as the Lochranza distillery. Anyway, looks like you’re going to get a bit harder hit than us tomorrow - better batten down your hatches.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg, Just returned home with the weekend shopping as the online grocery delivery was cancelled. Buses, trains, flights from Stansted all affected. Some trees down on the road, but nothing major to report.

Glad you enjoyed the Lagg distillery, why 3 years and 1 DAY ... until you can purchase, whats wrong with 3 years :lol:
Did you and George treat yourself to coffee and cake in the Kilmory cafe ☕🍰
www.laggwhisky.com
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

We visited the Lochranza distillery in January, took home a bottle of their 10 year selection- boy was It strong, and some 1995 wooden coasters as my grandaughter was born in 1995 so she took home quite a few. There was a pyramid of 1995 kegs stored outside, perhaps It was the year the distillery opened. Unfortunately they weren't serving meals due to covid restrictions. Sorry about your storms, glad I'm not there, we are all sunburnt here in the italian Alps after a day in the snow.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:35 pm Meg, Just returned home with the weekend shopping as the online grocery delivery was cancelled. Buses, trains, flights from Stansted all affected. Some trees down on the road, but nothing major to report.

Glad you enjoyed the Lagg distillery, why 3 years and 1 DAY ... until you can purchase, whats wrong with 3 years :lol:
www.laggwhisky.com
Brain, it's a legal thing that malt whisky must stay in the barrel for at least 3 years.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:35 pm Meg, Just returned home with the weekend shopping as the online grocery delivery was cancelled. Buses, trains, flights from Stansted all affected. Some trees down on the road, but nothing major to report.

www.laggwhisky.com
I think it’s something to do with the fact the whisky has to be a full three years old so they wait til it’s three years and a day to qualify. We had lunch in the cafe - my favourite - poutine - Canadian chips cheese and gravy to anyone who hasn’t heard of it. Lots of different countries represented on the menu - including hot dogs with haggis 🤮. Definitely worth a visit though.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo, Meg, 3 years for the Whisky- Would never had known that .Another school day.

I can't remember if i have asked this before, when i used to get the train up to Glasgow, i used to see hundreds of barrels stored outside a building near Dalry or Glengarnock, this was over 40 years ago. Anybody else remember or is it still there ?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

They’re the bonded warehouses for Chivas Regal Brian, and yes, they are still there.

M
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This is why distilleries are now making gin, you can turn it around in weeks. At least they are getting money in while the whisky matures.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Lagg Distillery are planting apple trees in their grounds to make cider, which they will distill and make apple brandy. Think they’ve planted 500 trees!