Who were the local caricaturists

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Who were the local caricaturists

Post by Hughie »

Below is a caricature of my late brother Bobby McCallum given to him on his retirement from Hunterson where he was a Health Physics Monitor I'm told - he retired around 1990. Prior to Hunterson he was in the Parachute Regiment.
Robert Boyce McCallum.jpg
In 1964 while I was working in Ardeer Foundry there was a workmate of mine, big Eddie Miller who lived in the foundry houses in Portland Place. Eddie used to do great caricatures almost weekly and pin them up in the toilet block. The caption told the story of an event from the previous week in the workplace. Wish I'd kept the one he did of me. During a robust fitba match at our lunch break the blacksmith's fist happened to make contact with my jaw and I lost a gold filling from my front tooth - there was me with a big head and wee body on all fours "looking for gold" or words to that effect so the caption read. :roll:
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Who were the local caricaturists

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

ah hughie wish this had come on a couple of years ago, as a friend of mine (who is a friend of your brother in law so betty might know him )is a great caricature person, when him an i worked together he did many of me and him and another guy, we all worked together, i have about 4 or 5 that he done but finding them is another thing, i will however make a concerted effort over the coming days and hopefully post one or maybe even two here,he did the caricatures, i did the funny poems, and the other workmate did all the work :lol:, when we were on a job down at Ayr we had to demolish an old porch so we could build in its place a conservatory, there were two big patio doors that had to be covered with plywood and lo and behold one of the sheets had a big wood knot in it, an right away out came the pencil and twenty seconds later there was a drawing of a cat with the knot as its butt, but with most caricaturists they are very quick to see a situation where they can put there skills to good use.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Jimmy,

Brian Morrison did this caricature of me back in 2007 when I attended my niece's wedding reception at the Seamill Hydro. :roll:
Hugh McCallum 2007.jpg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Peter Milne, who lived in Dalry Raod in Ardrossan, produced superb cartoons. Professional standard.

I wonder if anyone has either originals or copies of his work, or maybe even knows his whereabouts to obtain something for our perusal?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

PT - I used to watch Peter draw with pen and ink - his big sister and I were close friends all through our school days. Peter was truly ambidexterous - swopping pen from left to right hands and back again. He was very talented, as was his dad - Wullie - who was Peter Milne, the coalman's son. Last I heard he was still living in Saltcoats, but it's over 15 years since I last saw him.

Meg
weddingcaricaturist
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by weddingcaricaturist »

It was me who did Bob McCallum's caricature. It was nice to see it again. We were good friends at Hunterston. I have fond memories of him.
Brian Morrison
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Brian. Welcome to threetowners. If we'd have thought about it at the time we could have had you at our threetowners reunion in Stevenston in 2009. :( Maybe next time. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Welcome Brian - what a talented man you are. As Hughie said, it would have been wonderful to have you capture our homecoming in 2009 (cant believe it was over two years ago!). Looking forward to reading your posts.

Meg
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

well i finaly came across them, i said i thought there was about five but theres a lot more than that,,so here is two of them, will be interesting hughie to see if you or betty can recognise the people in them. one is not very good for reading the writing but gives you an idea of how good the artist is.
James Barr-1.jpg
James Barr-2.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, Jimmy. BIL Peter McGurk has always been into body building - he was involved in it in both Melbourne and Sydney before returning to Stevenston. But he lagged behind me running up the twenty storie flats near were we lived all those years ago. He was into stunt stuff here and was a friend and student of Ty Harding who lived in Sydney at that time.

Another wee story - Peter was invited to Steve Reeves' birthday in the states about twelve or so years ago, but Reeves died before the birthday so Peter and his partner, Madge used what they'd saved to come and visit with us in Oz - not a word till the phone call from the airport.

I see one of cartoons is dated 2000, so I'm unaware as to who big Geordie is - If you find any more please post them.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

yes hughie i knew he was into stunts in aus,and also that he was invited to reeves party,he was heartbroken when reeves died heres some more uploads
ImageImageImage

i was looking for the post you put on a while ago about deleting somthing so when you clicked on the photo it didnt take you straight to the persons album in photoshop but i couldnt find it .

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Last edited by Hughie on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved these three images from photobucket to Imgur
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Hughie wrote:
I see one of cartoons is dated 2000, so I'm unaware as to who big Geordie is - If you find any more please post them.
That would be Geordie Cummings Hughie.
Idiot - seeks village.