North Shore, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: North Shore, Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,,

This is a million to one shot but could that be Billy Adams in front of the Findlay and David Denver?

And I think you misunderstood me earlier, that is one of the Blackwood lassies in front of her mother but her name has escaped me.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby agrees that it is a Blackwood daughter but can't remember her name.
The blonde boy in the front of the Denvers is Bobby's other brother James Watt.
Maggie, Betty Denver is in the photo. Bobby's mother is the lady with the hat.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Hi Netta knew that was not your Bobby, I meant Bobby Denver, great picture brought back a lot of memories.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Campbell, what is the Garth.
Does anyone recognise the lass at the front in the bather?
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Hi Bob

The Garth was a large detached house which, when I was a kid, looked like a castle. It belonged for a number of years to the Mitchell family that owned and ran the local bookies by the same name. I read here some time ago that it was orginally owned by the Hogarth family and is now a nursing home. I've found it on Google's street view but not got a clue how to post the link for you. Each time I try in another browser window, I get the map only and not the picture :(

Campbell
wee aggie
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by wee aggie »

Hi does anyone happen to have a photograph of Anne's Lodge? Am Doing a bit of research on Glenfoot House and as far as I know Anne's lodge came under the Glenfoot estate.

Thanks

Wee Aggie
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Wee Aggie

I don't know what Anne's Lodge is but here are four photos of Glenfoot House Hotel taken in June 2003. Perhaps one of the smaller buildings is Anne's Lodge.
ImageImage

George
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Is this the place you are talking about?
canfactory wrote:Hi Bob

The Garth was a large detached house which, when I was a kid, looked like a castle. It belonged for a number of years to the Mitchell family that owned and ran the local bookies by the same name. I read here some time ago that it was orginally owned by the Hogarth family and is now a nursing home. I've found it on Google's street view but not got a clue how to post the link for you. Each time I try in another browser window, I get the map only and not the picture :(

Campbell
Idiot - seeks village.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Yes chriso, that's The Garth. Many thanks for posting the photograph.

C.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Wee Aggie, as far as I'm aware, the only thing left to identify the location of Ann's Lodge ( no 'e' ) is the walled garden. This was directly behind the lodge, if you have a look at the map on the 3t's aerial topic, you will clearly see the remaining walls.
annslodge.jpg
ann2.jpg
Last edited by Hughie on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced Photobucket images
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
maplecandy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by maplecandy »

I know this an old post but I saw that wee aggie was looking into history of glenfoot house. I would love to know what you found out. My grandparents worked there before they emigrated to Canada in 1956. They lived in the little white cottage by the road pictured in the photos posted here. My uncle was born inthat cottage. My mum was also born whilst they lived there but she was born in a hospital in Kilwinning that is now a nursing home.

My granny loved the North Shore and I loved listening to her stories. She passed away in 2005 and I miss her dearly. She wanted to be scattered along the North Shore but I didn't know how to go about doing it so i still have her ashes until I figure it out.

I have been told that Glenfoot House is no longer operating as a hotel. Does anyone know what its current status is? Grateful for any info.

Cheers
SusaninCalifornia
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by SusaninCalifornia »

Findlay Denver now lives in Lytham St. Annes and has been there for several years.