Prominent Local People

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Prominent Local People

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
January 18, 1946

William Robertson

Anyone in Saltcoats who wishes to know about yachts or fishing boats should get in touch with Mr William Robertson whose experience places him in the forefront. He has sailed in some of the finest yachts in Scotland. For years he has been taking a great interest in the fishing boats of Saltcoats also going out with his own boat. Being a well-known figure in the town as a business man, but he is best known connected with yachts and fishing boats.

We learn that if the authorities had consulted the fishermen when making the alteration to the harbour, Saltcoats would have retained its long popularity as a town of fishermen and a good trade would have developed. His general knowledge of the town and the old people therein. Visitors often made a point of talking to Willie for he could give the history of Saltcoats better than any other man. He took no part in public affairs, but being an outspoken man would have been an asset.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prominent Local People

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
February 1, 1943

Bailie Manual

Some years ago a young man came to this district to work at the locomotive sheds of the L.M.S. railway. While residing in Saltcoats he took a keen interest in the South Beach Football Club of which he was secretary, and he was a very active official. But we find him most in the public eye as a member of the I.L.P. He stood for the Ardrossan Town Council and was successful in topping the poll. He was not long a councillor till it was quite evident he was not going to be a sleeping member. He made fast progress and was appointed a bailie, a position he still holds.

He took a keen interest in the Ardrossan British Restaurant, and, in fact, he took such interest that it was to his credit that the work was carried out so quickly. His opinion on many matters is asked daily and he willingly obliges at all hours. It is surprising the calls that are made on his services by the ratepayers, and while all do not agree with him, he has the courage of his convictions and that is an asset to a public man. Bailie Manual will be a public man for many years, and we would not be surprised to learn in the near future that he is a prospective candidate for Parliament.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Isn't it interesting that a newspaper can publish a glowing tribute to someone and still leave you wondering what their Christian name was?

From a fading memory, I think he was Archie Manuel; known to everybody as a "railway man"; he did become a Member of Parliament; and always lived, I think, in a Council house in White Craig Road, Ardrossan.

I was just a boy at the time, but I remember adults always thought highly of him.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Pt you are, as is normally the case, correct. The man Known as Archie Manuel was a friend of my father and did stay at the top of Whitecraig Road the street where I stayed. Archie was an engine driver and was one of the many labour men that Ardrossan engine sheds seemed to breed who went on to be politicians local and national. He served for many years as Labour MP for Irvine central ward. I am a bit puzzled with the reference to British Restaurant I have never heard of it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I think the British Restaurant was in the building that became the Conservative and Unionist Club in Princes Street.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You are correct Meg.

GLASGOW HERALD
13 JULY 1942

BRITISH RESTAURANT
ARDROSSAN CEREMONY

A British Restaurant sponsored by Ardrossan Town Council was formally opened on Saturday afternoon by Sir James Peck, Chief Divisional Food Officer for Scotland. The premises situated in Princes Street, Ardrossan, were formally the local Unionist Club buildings.

Over 170 diners can be accommodated at a time, and it is estimated that 400 lunches can be served between 12 noon and 2 p.m.

Over 100 guests were present at the opening ceremony which was presided over by Provost W. Harvey. The company included members of the Town Council and officials and their wives, as well as representatives of Ayr County Council and Ayrshire Burghs.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Every day is a school day :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Lots of school days ahead Angus - stay tuned. :wink:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I should maybe have posted this link with my earlier response to Meekan: -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Restaurant
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Hughie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:14 am Lots of school days ahead Angus - stay tuned. :wink:
Even more puzzling for me is that my early childhood was spent living across the street from the Conservative Club and I never ever heard a mention of the British restaurant . :smt102
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

There was a British Restaurant in Stevenston in New Street and one in Canal Street in Saltcoats.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Madge,

Presumably the one in Canal Street was within reasonable walking distance of Kyleshill School: -

GLASGOW HERALD
18 JANUARY 1945

BRITISH RESTAURANT

It was reported at the monthly meeting of the Ayrshire Education Committee yesterday that the Ministry of Food had offered the British Restaurant premises at Saltcoats to the Authority for use as a school dining hall. The organiser of the school meals and the architect reported that the premises were suitable and recommended that they should be secured for use by the pupils of Kyleshill Public School.