Weddings (Mar 2001)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Weddings (Mar 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: threetowners
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2001

A couple of memories I have, re. weddings, I remember when Bobby Lennox got married at St. Mary's It must have been a school day, as myself and Tich Irvine plugged school to go to see our hero Bobby as he came out of the church.

The next day there was a photograph in the Daily Mail, and guess who was standing next to the limo, the bold Tich and me, we had some explaining to do after that.

The other memory involves my own wedding at St. Peter's in Ardrossan, As our Limo (or was it a hackney) pulled out of the grounds I rolled down the window and pulled the bell money out of my pocket and threw it out, but I also tossed the key to our house, I had to yell to the driver to stop, and there I was fighting among the scramblers looking for our key.

Mike Morrison.

To: threetowners

In Australia the kids don't know about"bell"money. We threw it after our wedding and one of the guests who was Scottish had to explain to the kids what they were meant to do. Haven't seen it at any other weddings we have been to out here.

To: <threetowners@topica.com>

When our daughter got married (to a Greek) up in Canberra, we threw the scramble money. The kids around didn't take long to work out that someone was throwing money at them. They cleaned it up quick smart. One of the little boys gave it to his mum as he thought it had been lost!. I remember a time years ago when the money was being thrown, a wee wifey happened to be joking and held out her apron. She caught the lot!! She was so embarrassed, then she gave the apron a shake and scattered it all for us.
Sally O xx

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001

Anyone know where the "Bell Money" expression came from. Someone I spoke to recently reckons it should be "Bowl Money". I remember it was traditional for the bride's father to through the money from the car onto the road or onto the kerbside (very little traffic in those days) as the car left the bride's home for the church.

Anyone discover why there were so many December 31st Weddings. Seems to me there were awful lot of them in the 1800s including my own great grandparents who married at Kilwinning on 31st December 1858.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001

Yes you are right Hugh the name was definitely ''bowl'' but, pronounced ''bowel'' money.

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001

Hi
Don't know about the December Weddings, but getting married before the 5th of April was the done thing as you were then able to claim the full years Tax
allowance.