Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Buckreddan Maternity Home (Feb 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001

Hello All,
Drew Gillespie once of Nithsdale Road then Chapelhill Mount Ardrossan, Attended Ardrossan Academy between 1960 and 1970 then moved to England in 1971 (it did feel like emigrating!!)
I was born in Kilwinning 1955 cant imagine there were two maternity hospitals so I could have been an "inmate" there but you never know. If i was Hugh don't remember much!! Great to read everything last week especially the Cannon Hill brings back good memories remember playing football on the grass up the hill always a bit of a treck when the ba went down the hill! And we even watched some Winton games from the hill didn't see much though. My mum Babs Gillespie (nee Armour) from Saltcoats is trying to find out where a few of her old pals are in particular Moira Lafferty and Jenny Matheson who used to work in Macleans the chemist in Dockhead Street,or any of her other old pals.
Regards to all DREW GILLESPIE

Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001

Hi ! all. 'specially you Drew. Yea I claim fame to Buckredden too ' 53. I don't remember anything either but I was told, later in life, of the day I was born. Apparently my 'due date' was the 17th.but I turned up on the 16th.Much to the annoyance of my 7-year elder sister Wendy ,[nee Stewart] Kerr. Who was heard to say 'I should go back and show up when I'm supposed to'. I think this was an omen of my future 'cause if there was something to be done I never did do what was expected. Which I'm sure family, friends and teachers would vouch for. I was sorry to see the old place change it's stature in life!
Oh ! and Drew I'll ask my Dad if he's got any news on Jenny and Moira, -he's quite 'in' with the pharmacist ! Sheena

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001

Hi folks.
I was born and brought up in Saltcoats. My daughter Rae was born in Buckredden on New Years Eve. [won't give the year, she'd never forgive me] and I have good memories of the small [then] place. Hugh Peeble's wife had a daughter at the same time. Hugh was the son of Dougie, Joiner and Undertaker. I remember going to Buckredden in Bert Donaldson's taxi and praying that I'd get there in time,---so was he.---We were kept in for ten days then.
Are there any more 'oldies' out there like me? We came to Canada in the 50s and though I recognise some names, I'm sure they must be the 'children' or 'grandchildren' [heaven forbid] of the ones I knew.
Regards to all,
Cath Mackie [nee Stewart]

To: 3towns
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001

My aunt worked in buckredden for years her name was Betty Dunlop , I bet she was there when a few of you were born , my sisters and I were born there . I was brought up in Kilwinning , been in Canada for 13years . its great to read about things from years ago. my three sisters live in Stevenston and also my dad {Jake Dunlop} he also worked in I.C.I. keep the stories coming.
Liz

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001

Yes Hue.. you are right, there are a lot of us out there who would rather not remember buckreddan I still have night mares of Sister Freighter or was it Fraser.. anyone recall.
I was young when I had my first and my she was such a bully. The good thing was she loved the babies but had no time for the Mums and classed us all as a group of moaners..