Mute redheaded lad

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mute redheaded lad

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000

Whatever happened to the young deaf mute lad with the red hair who used to give the girls a fright on the "monkey Walk" on a Sunday night. The young men about town (us yins) used to arrange a scare (at a price) for the girls. I think the girls were just acting when they screamed. I'm talking early 1960s. Hey Tony you'd remember the lad? Like "fearless" there was no real malice in him. I heard rumours on his demise but does anyone know what happened.

Hugh McCallum

Hi Hugh,
Another memory from the past. The boys name was O' Rourke and he came from
Stevenston. I went to school with his brother Billy.I don't know where he is now but I do remember him scaring all the girls on the Monkey Walk.
Regards
Tommy Hanlon

Hi Hugh, We all remember the Dummy. There was no malice in him at all. Bobby
says he never paid him, but he was Scottish!!!George says they didn't need to pay him he could frighten the lassies himself!!!! In case you are wondering, Hugh, Sally and George are here tonight. Maybe this is Dutch courage!!!!!
Talk to you soon, Netta.

Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000

Yes I do vaguely remember the 'Dummy' I seem to remember he had a slight limp. Is this true?
As you all say he was quite harmless. Another person I remember (not his name unfortunately) was elder. I think he had an accident and was awarded a bit of money. The accident hr ha deformed him a bit. As I remember it he had a car which was rather unusual in those days. He used to just come and sit next to who ever it pleased him in the Melbourne café. Although he had money he was really tight fisted, and trying to get a coffee or a coke out of him was like the proverbial blood out of a stone. Does any one remember or know what happened to Chalmers of the Melbourne caf'. I think he was married to one of the Tortolano sisters, then there was Luigi married to a real beauty (Christina ?) then the younger brother Aldo who I went to school with and married one of the girls who worked as a waitress. What about grumpy old Tortolano who ran the 'Fish and Chip' next door to the cafe'. What I would give to taste one of his black or white puddings again.

Ah such memories.....

Hi all
Regarding redheaded lad, as Tommy Hanlon correctly said, his name was O'Rourke. Sadly he was knocked down and killed by a hit and run driver quite close to the old Caley bridge at the ex Mission Coast Home between Saltcoats and Stevenston.

He always carried photos with him and was always keen to let the girls have a look at them and he also collected lemonade bottles. By the way Tommy his cousin Billy along with sister Nancy still stay in the same house in Millhill when he went to school with you. (Not yesterday)
pb

To:<threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 6:

Tony,
I remember who you are talking about he came from the bottom end of
Stevenston (Shore Rd) I think he got hurt in Ardeer but I'm not too sure.His
name is on the tip of my tongue, i'm going to say Tommy McKenzie not sure
but I remeber him well. And!!he was definetely tight.

Tommy Hanlon

Hi Tony,
That would be Tommy Williams. Yes he had an accident in the ICI and he was a regular with his modified car in Saltcoats on a Sunday night as was the "Dummy". Tommy was always at the Rec too (ICI Recreation Club).

Hugh McCallum