Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Long Lost Friends

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000
Subject: [3T] Long lost friends.

I am convinced that there are some good Private Eyes among 'Threetowners' members so here's hoping:

I would like to get in touch with an old and dear friend from Ardrossan. His name was Jack Millar and used (I believe) ti live in Dalry Road.

He got married and moved into a flat near Ardrossan Town station where he was working.

I last saw him about 1985/86 while I was in the army, and before moving to Denmark. Believe he had two three brothers and three sisters. Glad to hear from anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks
Tony McGuire

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000

Tony,
The details you give appear to fit an old school friend of mine and fellow dance hall frequenter of the late fifties and early sixties. If this is so then it's sad to relate that Jack Millar died prior to my visit back to Ardrossan in 1992. I hope you don't mind me posting this to the group, there would be many among us who will remember Jack.

Jack would have been born in 1941 and as you say did have a few brothers and sisters - he was raised in Beggs Terrace. His father 'soldier' Millar was my father's best man back in 1931. You'll find him in the school photos at Eglinton at :
http://www.threetowners.com (see photo C1953 (1)

When you go through the level crossing into Princes Street immediately on the left is "Jacks Place" a watering hole run I believe by Jack's sister. It's directly opposite the entrance to what was the Ardrossan Town Railway Station.

Hugh McCallum

To: "ThreeTowners" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2000

I was very sorry to read the replies to my 'Long Lost Friends'
I had two replies that lead me to believe that my old friend Jack Millar is deceased.

Hugh you wrote about dancing: I remember Jack as a very keen dancer and that we were regular Friday night visitors to the 'Walker Hall' in Kilbirnie, Castle Craigs and once in a while Largs (I cant remember the name of the dance hall but it was always first into Nardini's (does that still exist) and then into the dancing. I have a few photos of Jack (don't worry I wont send them over the list, but should anybody be interested then I can send them individually).

Jean. You mentioned that Jack would be about 59 (the same as myself) that seems to fit in. As I remember it one of his sisters was a keen member of the Salvation Army.

Well to cut this long story short and add a bit on I will end by asking other Three Towners wether or not I should continue looking for 'Long Lost Friends'. I was right you are a bundle of information and first class detectives.

Bye from Denmark
Tony

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000

Tony <mcguire@xxxx.tele.dk> wrote to Hugh: <hewmac@xx.com.au>

> Hej Hugh,
> While rummaging through some old photographs I came across one taken by the
> 'Waltzer' when the fairground visited the Braes back about 1958. It is of
> three friends of Jack Millar (acquaintances/friends) of mine. One of the
> three (all from the Ardrossan area) was a Donald Keyes, the second was
> called Eddy and the third is a HUGH. I don't know if it is you, the chances
> are as many as 1 in 'how many Hughes' lived in Ardrossan at that time. Do
> you know any of these names?
>
> Regards
> Tony McGuire

Hi Tony,
That must be me. I was just about to ask the list has anyone seen or heard from Donald Keyes. He was my best mate for years. We, including Jack would go to the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock dancing regularly and many other venues. We had to on occasions walk all the way home - interesting times. Can you scan it and send me a copy. The Eddy would I think be Eddy McIntyre.

I last saw Donald Keyes in 1978 he was living in Kilwinning - married with two children! His sister Sadie lives in Melbourne somewhere.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the photograph. Yep, I was right that was us, Donald Keyes, Eddy McIntyre and Hugh McCallum at the age of 16 years.

To: "threetowners" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 4:05 AM

Hi Hugh, " Jacks Place" is the old Stanley at the Galloway burn. The watering hole across from the railway station was called the " Jack Millar" before that it was the "Clyde Estuary" and before that "The Commercial Hotel" ( My dad painted the sign).
Jack's sister took it over and he put his redundancy money that he got from the ship yard into it, that was why it was called after Jack, the business went belly up. Jack was only retired a couple of months when he died I think off a heart attack. The place has been lying derelict for a number of years. Another watering hole that is no longer with us is the "Winton Bar" it's been converted back into flats

Jean Boyce Saltcoats

Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000
Subject: Re: [3T] Old photographs

Who said it was a small world. Tony in Denmark tells me we must have met, and I have to agree 'cause he took the photograph of us three lads!!!!

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne