Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Nissen Huts - Saltcoats (Aug 1999)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@iList.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999
Subject: Nissan Huts

Anyone recall anything about Nissan Huts on the corner of the High Road and Sharphill Rd in Saltcoats. Just about where the church is now. I was very young and it was in the early 1950s but they were there! I'm sure! In fact I'm absolutely positive! But some folk doubt me - am I right?

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne

To: <threetowners@iList.net>
Sent: Monday, 23 August 1999
Subject: Re: Nissan Huts

Hi. Hugh, The nissen huts went all the way up from the high road, to new England Road, we used to live on New England Road, and across Sharphill Road, above the huts was the border farm, where I worked as a boy, 1940 to be exact, taking care of the milk cows and the byre, also the horse that pulled the cart delivering the milk, At that time there was a Canadian unit in the huts, I can't remember who they were, but of course we had a few of them down to the house for tea, two or three times a week. Would you believe, after I came out of the army, 1948, married with two children the council gave us a nissen hut to live in, you can bet we moved out as fast as possible, it was so cold in them, that I was forced to build us a fireplace, no heat you see, then they tore them down and built prefab houses, but by then I was here in the U.S.The units in the huts changed quite often, so I forget who was all in that camp, as we called it, but I remember they were all decent. Lads.
That's about it for now, but I will ask Family if they remember anything else. I never bothered much with the camp, I was too busy with my sea cadet DUTY at Ardrossan harbour, at fourteen years of age, wearing the Navy uniform was something else. Bye for now. Jimmy