unwanted toolbars

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: unwanted toolbars

Post by Retsum »

I Googled 'Unintal Google Toolbar' and found a number of what seemed to me to be simple options for removing it. It depends on which browser you use. There are also a number of people offering downloads: I would avoid them.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

There are 2 things, well, at least, a problem here. Technology and reading glasses. Seems they both come here to die. My laptop's wonky, my Kindle hates to recharge and my phone does odd things..it's not a smartphone (it's ok, it's in the other room and can't hear)..one legged glasses, lens oot glasses I could start a museum of abused glasses. I'll keep trying to fix my Vaio but since I do most of bill payment etc. online think I need a back up.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The kindle might be a Battery Memory Issue, Yes batteries have memories.simply fixed ...just fixed an iPhone
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

stivis..can I adopt you? lol! The Kindle specifically, was / is my go to bed, keep in touch, seem to be able to re-charge when it is completely flat I don't use it that much but it seems to run out of 'juice' fast.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

morag wrote:stivis..can I adopt you? lol! The Kindle specifically, was / is my go to bed, keep in touch, seem to be able to re-charge when it is completely flat I don't use it that much but it seems to run out of 'juice' fast.
Morag do the sums , Now would it be cheaper to buy Stivis a plane ticket to California to repair your laptop kindle and phone ? or simply just buy all new ??
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

strangely , I am so much into the hot-rod ,music that I should have been born on the west coast and not the west coast of Scotland.......Still I'd miss the drizzle.
The kindle what to do is charge it up then let it drain till there is no charge left, switch it on again to drain all the charge out of it completely flat, ...Then you charge it up, for the full cycle 8 ,10 or longer hours.
then let it drain again again completely flat .....repeat 4 to 6 times, and the memory should be restored

It's called Battery Memory Effect

PS.... an iPhone takes about 8 recharge /discharge cycles,and it's very common on most phone
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

stivis wrote:strangely , I am so much into the hot-rod ,music that I should have been born on the west coast and not the west coast of Scotland.......Still I'd miss the drizzle.
The kindle what to do is charge it up then let it drain till there is no charge left, switch it on again to drain all the charge out of it completely flat, ...Then you charge it up, for the full cycle 8 ,10 or longer hours.
then let it drain again again completely flat .....repeat 4 to 6 times, and the memory should be restored

It's called Battery Memory Effect

PS.... an iPhone takes about 8 recharge /discharge cycles,and it's very common on most phone
Sound as Stivis topman //cool
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

stivis wrote:For the problem here, I would not be going anyway near BIOS setting, after all it is a software problem.Is it not?
:hi: Stivis, Can you sort this out, when i switch on pc ( horrible old vista )first thing in the morning the mouse does not work so i have to power off restart then it seems to work , i have tried another mouse and the same problem. :evil:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Check that the ball and rest of mouse are clean, use something like wet wipes or surgical spirits(wet wipes are the better option)

Is it a USB mouse?
If it is and you used the same port for the second mouse.
try this ....I assume that the problem keeps reoccurring.
switch off computer ......disconnect mouse..........reboot computer without mouse .......plug in mouse to different port.....make sure it's working ....then reboot computer and it should be fine

I've made the assumption it's a cable mouse
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

stivis wrote:Check that the ball and rest of mouse are clean, use something like wet wipes or surgical spirits(wet wipes are the better option)

Is it a USB mouse?
If it is and you used the same port for the second mouse.
try this ....I assume that the problem keeps reoccurring.
switch off computer ......disconnect mouse..........reboot computer without mouse .......plug in mouse to different port.....make sure it's working ....then reboot computer and it should be fine

I've made the assumption it's a cable mouse
Yes it is a cable mouse Stivis i will give it a go tomorrow thanks, will let you know the outcome
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Back to toolbars,
Was going to Tools .then Add-Ons then disable the toolbar if shown tried
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Finally got rid of the ask toolbar by simply uninstalling fire fox and the installing the latest version. How simple was that?
I also rans full scans with windows defender which takes about 4 and a half hrs , and found and removed a trojan downloader.
Hopefully there is nothing more lurking on my computer, but one never knows nowadays with all the clever hackers out there.
I noticed an add on for firefox which is called light beam,which is supposed to show who is tracking you online.
here's a link if you use firefox and are interested.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/
Last edited by chriso on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idiot - seeks village.