Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Sarah »

it has just struck me Jenni your father is my late husbands Uncle, we also have a daughter Deborah McAteer...
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JenniMc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:14 pm Can I ask how you got this info, as I didn't know you could get info from the Glasgow Herald that far back?
Jenni,

Back-copies of the Glasgow Herald exist from 1806 onward, and, along with many other newspapers from all over the world, are available free on news.google.com/newspapers . They're not suitable, however, for family research because births, marriages, and deaths, are not indexed in any way, and you only get to know what you stumble across. I was aware of Bridget's death only because of that reason, and retained it to use at some time in the future in the "On this day in history" topic.

I was drawn to Bridget's intimation for two reasons: -

(a) All the houses in Churchill Drive in 1958 were what we call "council houses". In other words, the Town Council owned the house and Bridget' or her family would rent it from them. Normally, intimations in the prestigious Glasgow Herald originated from well-off local people who lived in privately owned houses. The former generally intimated via the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, or not at all; and

(b) the absence of any reference to another family member. The intimation simply reflects Bridget's death. She isn't recognised as someone's wife, widow, sister, etc., etc. That is unusal too.

The explanation may be simple, but I don't know what it is.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi Jenni,
I just read Sarah's post and it seems that Bridget's is the correct McAteer family:
1921 census - 19th June 1921
Address: 9 Bute Place Ardrossan
Patrick, head, age 45, born Co. Armagh, labourer, Ardrossan Harbour
Bridget, wife, age 42, born Co. Donegal (died 1958)
Mary, daughter, age 17
Winnie, daughter, age 13
Stephen, son, age 11
Andrew, son, age 8
Joseph, son, age 6
James, son age 4
Edward, son, age 2
According to the census all the children were born at Ardrossan.

Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Irene,

Thank you so much for telling me about the census search function. I've only this week, started the journey to verify what little info I had been given growing up and start to build the family tree. Looking at this info I've been able to discover that Bridget and Patrick were my Great Grand Parents and locate the siblings of Andrew, who was my grandfather. I knew that the McAteer's were originally from Ireland but had thought that it was several more generations back than it actually was. Look's like I'll also be trying to see if there is an Irish records system that I can use.

Many Thanks
Jenni
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Penny,

Thank you so much for all of the info you've provided. It turns out that Bridget Mary was my great grand mother and she and Patrick's son Andrew is my grandfather. He married Christina McGovern Grieve and their 2nd son Christopher born 1943 is my father. Until starting this search last weekend I knew very little of the McAteer family tree. My father married Patricia Gunning in feb 1965 and left for Australia the next day. My grandparents died when I was young and their had never been much contact with them. My father had talked about going to live with his grand father (Patrick) but never mentioned his grandmother (Bridget). I'm sure if this was after she had died or if she and Patrick had separated? Yes, it is very strange that there was no mention of family included in the death notice. I know that the McAteer's had been catholic, so at some stage I'll try to navigate the church records to see if I can find anything more.

Many Thanks
Jenni
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Sarah,

I got a whole lot of stuff from the 1921 census and have been piecing together info from that. Can you please give me your husband Patricks details and the details you have for his parents, so that I can place this in and clarify everything.

Regards
Jenni
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Jenni, Patrick died in 1935 at Ardrossan. He was 55 years old. You can see his death certificate at Scotlands People.

Here are some links you might find useful:

https://census.nationalarchives.ie/
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/ar ... al-history

Happy hunting
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Hi Jenni, Husbands name was Patrick James Mcateer born Oct1937,Father was Stephen, Mother Elizabeth Rodgers a Saltcoats girl Pat was born in Ardrossan sister Maureen the same, they were brought up with their grandparents
on the mother side after their father died in the war as Mum had to work. know absolutely nothing about the McAteer side as Pats Mother was Protestant and they never bothered about them after the Father died.
Un fortunately it was the old Protestant and Catholic days.
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Sarah,

I private messaged you early Saturday evening (nz time) with what i've pieced together of the family connection, but can't find anything regarding Maureen that matches the timeframe.

Regards Jenni
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Sorry Jenni did not get the message, haven't had a private message for years. I think Maureen was about 3 years younger than Pat, she lives in Ardrossan, her married name is Scott a local man now deceased , wish I could help you more, I did not know there was so many in the McAteer family.
JenniMc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JenniMc »

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for all of the info. Your daughter Deborah and I are 2nd cousins and so far I've managed to trace back to her and I's great grandparents, who it turns out came from Ireland. The eldest 3 including Stephen were born in Ireland and the other 4 were born in Adrossan. If your daughter is interest to see the tree I can copy this for her?

Regards
Jenni
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Think she would like that Jenni, we are about to check up some info on on my side. will let her know she only knows Aunt Maureen ..