Bob Auld - Poems - Another Wee Book

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Bob Scott's daughter Helen Smith was kind enough to present me with a copy of her father's second book of poems. It's titled as above and was printed by Heatherbank Press, Milngavie, Glasgow in 1978. Helen and brother Bill are happy that I share them with you - I'll start in the coming week. in the meantime poems by Bob already on threetowners can be found through our search page - search using the key words Bob Auld - search within topic titles only.

Bob Auld's real name was Bob Scott, he died at the age of 96 in 2005 and is buried along with his wife Ena in Stevenston. Image

FOREWORD
However imperfect these poems may be, there could be hidden away in some unlikely corner a phrase, a line or even a word expressing a sentiment that for some reason known only to yourself, warms your heart, touching on the fringe of your most innermost thoughts.

If I can give to you from these all so simple efforts of mine just that wee touch of pride that makes you straighten up, lift your head that wee bit higher and fix your gaze on that highest of plains that defies all understanding, then my efforts have not been in vain.

Throughout this book there are epistles to friends and work-mates I am proud to have known, and truth rather than flattery remains my predominant aim.

I have also tried again to draw your attention to our own beautiful rural scenery, of which we locals ought to be very proud.

Lastly let my humbly thank you for the thoughtful way you acknowledged my last book. I hope this one gives you as much pleasure.

Bob Auld September 5 1978
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Bob Auld - Poems - Another Wee Book

Post by FlyingAl »

Thanks Hughie,

Looking forward to this thread. It was Helen that kindly gave me permission to use a verse from her dad's 'A Middlepart Scene' on the three towns mugs. Thanks again Helen.

Cheers
Al