A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by Hughie »

Hughie wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:11 pm
down south wrote: According to the Herald article, " It is only fair to say that for about 30 years a good deal of the popularity of the pool was attributable to the personality of the permanent bathmaster, the late Mr Robert Hamilton. "; so he was obviously a fixture throughout its golden era. From the sounds of some of the past postings about him,not all of you would quite agree with that eulogy.... I think he's supposed to be in this picture, perhaps someone could confirm that for the record.
No Susan, that's not Bob Hamilton. Here he is as many will remember him:
The_Boss.jpg
wd51
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wd51 »

There were three cottages there, probably knocked down round about 1957/58. The families that lived in them till the end were the Dales, the Conwells and the Findleys. The Dales had 5 children, the Conwells had 7 and the Findleys 6. I remember this because I lived in one of them (Billy Dale)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hello Billy and a warm welcome to the Threetowners. Looking forward to your posts.

Regards
Meg
wd51
New Poster
New Poster

Post by wd51 »

Thanks Meg, I live in Ayr now also.
awgibson82
New Poster
New Poster

Post by awgibson82 »

awgibson82 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 am Number 68 Ardrossan Rd was my gran and grandpa's house. Archie and Euphemia Gibson. As far as I recall they bought the house from Peter and Pearl Buchanan. The glass panel with the clan motto was inserted by the Buchanans.....the same clan as Gibson ironically.
Christine16!
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Christine16! »

gnyaff wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 pm You are more than likely correct Penny, The name Dale I was sure of, but the Christian name not so sure. I was probably thinking of Jim Dale the actor.

Wee Boney
Hi Gnyaff I've been sent a copy of a post from way back where you were asking after a girl at school called Christine McIntyre. She is my cousin. She's still in Canada. Were you in the same class and what school did you go to.
Lindalee3
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lindalee3 »

Just to clarify folks the fire was in July 1962 it was my grandpa John snr that died in it and I've got the death certificate so have checked the date. My dad John jnr was 13 when the fire happened.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The closure has been announced of " one of Saltcoats' oldest businesses "; see here . Apparently it had been going for 125 years.

We saw during the Stroll ( see here ) that it was the present occupant of Rankin's old shop; but obviously it wasn't there in the sixties. So I'm wondering where it was then, and what name it was originally under. Does anyone know ?

Susan
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Its sad to read all these articles on the shops in Hamilton street that I knew so well, grew up with. There wasn't an empty shop in the whole street. What a difference now. Hamilton street Is full of pulled down shutters, and now the double windows of the closed sports shops is a real miss to the street.
On the other hand, I see that the Melbourne Cafè has regained popularity, and it's hard to get a table at lunch time. Only thing missing
Is the Juke box or at least some kind of music.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes, glenshena I can understand your frustration about the empty shops..But to be fair to Saltcoats this seems to be the case throughout the Uk. Many are filled now by charity shops and bookmakers. The Melbourne cafe? I can't remember if I was ever in it. My favourites were Cavani's and that place that sold strange but delicious meat roll's on Countess St.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The Mayfair Brian? a special it was called
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

glenshena wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:11 am Its sad to read all these articles on the shops in Hamilton street that I knew so well, grew up with. There wasn't an empty shop in the whole street. What a difference now. Hamilton street Is full of pulled down shutters, and now the double windows of the closed sports shops is a real miss to the street.
On the other hand, I see that the Melbourne Cafè has regained popularity, and it's hard to get a table at lunch time. Only thing missing
Is the Juke box or at least some kind of music.
brian f wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 pm Yes, glenshena I can understand your frustration about the empty shops..But to be fair to Saltcoats this seems to be the case throughout the Uk. Many are filled now by charity shops and bookmakers. The Melbourne cafe? I can't remember if I was ever in it. My favourites were Cavani's and that place that sold strange but delicious meat roll's on Countess St.
bonzo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:01 pm The Mayfair Brian? a special it was called
Thanks, bonzo. I seem to be forgetting things!!! :D

https://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopi ... 24#p113024