Pet Club

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Pet Club

Post by brian f »

Hi, I have a Shih Tzu almost 2 years,, he is constantly itching and biting his skin, so i have tried him on a flea medication (Frontline) and bathed him in medicated shampoo. So far nothing has worked so a visit to the vets it will probably be. The trouble with that is i spoke to a lady walking a lovely Lhasa Apso the other day and during the conversation she asked me when i told her i had a Shih Tzu does your dog suffer with itching and showed me the Red sores on her dogs back and she had went to the vets who gave her a steroid ( Prednisone) and that had done nothing to help and that 3 of her friends dogs had the same problem with no cure. So it could be an allergy i suppose but it's a bit of a coincidence that quite a few dogs have it at the same time. I currently live in East Anglia and any helpful comments would be most appreciated. thank you.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pet Club

Post by Meg »

Hi Brian - We had a cat that had a severe allergy to harvest mites that just sounded like that but they appear around June so more seasonal. I remember when I worked in the science park in Cambridge getting the train in and out to London for meetings and going past a large area that was signposted as being “experimental farming area” - just outside the town - wonder if they are using anything that might be causing problems - it’s such a huge agricultural area.

Good luck - it’s rotten when the hairy weans aren’t well.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg, This water contamination is close to the “experimental farming area”

https://newson.in/high-levels-of-toxic- ... s-found-in...

I live over the other side of the City -5 minutes walk from the Science park, which now has a new rail station (Cambridge North) close by.

Anyway i have made an appointment with the vet on Saturday morning to see whats going on with Bill. So i will let you know then what the outcome is.
Thanks very much for the reply x
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Decided to cancel vet's appointment as Bill has responded to the flea treatment and medicated shampoo. He just has an itch every now and then but he never had open sores which i had seen on another dog which could possibly need antibiotics. I had another dog who died just over 2 years ago, he had his problems but never picked up fleas on his walk in the Winter unlike Bill, but then again it has been so mild up until now. :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Good news Brian - fingers crossed you’ve found the cause.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

First of all- I have never had a Cat before. My dog Billy seems to like them on his walk.So i might get one in the Autumn. Would it be better for Billy if this was an inside Cat.. one that never leaves the house to create the bond.

Do you think They would get on? and should i get a Kitten or a rescue

Thanks
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

brian f wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm First of all- I have never had a Cat before. My dog Billy seems to like them on his walk.So i might get one in the Autumn. Would it be better for Billy if this was an inside Cat.. one that never leaves the house to create the bond.

Do you think They would get on? and should i get a Kitten or a rescue

Thanks
We got a cocker spaniel pup and a kitten the same month - they were best pals for 13 years, and we went for walks with the two of them, side by side. The rescue cat we already owned had no affinity with either, and disappeared upstairs, and only came back down 13 years later.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Can you take a Cat on a train? Billy has got used to them . not forgetting the taxis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Taking Billy to the groomers tommorow for a short back and side. He has to go about every six to eight weeks. Just thinking, maybe i should purchase the tools and do it myself.How do you get on with your doggy.