January storm 2022

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

January storm 2022

Post by floydian slip »

On Monday morning my wife called me concerned about a Swan wandering up and down seabank home.
So I went out and saw a youngster from last year with blood over her chest, she had been blown into a cable.
I called sspca and they came out and took her to Stirling and stitched her up and she is expected to make a full recovery.
So it was well worth getting up and out in the rain for.
Here she is in my kitchen awaiting the sspca
Attachments
20220131_101342.jpg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: January storm 2022

Post by Meg »

Wow - that’s an amazing photo - I remember calling the sspca when a swan had become frozen into the Munnoch dam - they came and using a ladder on the ice managed to release the poor thing. They are so graceful in the water but really awkward on dry land aren’t they.

Meg
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Well done floydian, i would have been terrified to pick the swan up.You probably saved it's life👏
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cracking picture and well done. Have you ever thought about taking up the pipes? :-D
Those wimin were in the nip.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Afternoon guys
Yeah Meg they are so different in and out of the water.
She was wadding around the kitchen as if it was home :🤣 , she obviously realised I wasn't going to harm her.
When I was walking back home with her people in cars were " goose necking " lol and the thought did pop into my head that it did look as though I was playing the pipes as Bonzo mentioned 😀.
The sspca do a great job and are going to call me with updates.
This is the second bird in a month , the last was a great black backed seagull who was more of a handful than the Swan. It was so angry lol and trying to peck me continually, it had a broken wing , which normally can't be fixed but hopefully they would have kept it alive and put it in an area that it could still wander safely around .
Maybe like a petting farm environment
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We’ve had a herring gull visiting us for at least 10 years - always this time of year and looking for food - we think it must be feeding young. She/he (not sure which) comes in to the back yard, and knocks the door. The two cats and the gull have a healthy respect for each other. We posted a video a few years ago here https://www.threetowners.net/forum/vie ... 04#p105504. Make sure you have the sound up.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Wow Meg
That's brilliant and a first for me , I have known blackbirds , thrushes and the usual garden birds to do this, in fact my mum has a few she feeds regularly and they display the same behaviour but considering that gulls are normally really wary this is indeed a rarity.
What an excellent video.
Gulls normally have their chick's in the nest from end April to June roughly.