Gordon Ramsey

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Gordon Ramsey

Post by glenshena »

Watching the Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares, I was surprised to hear that in the USA the waiters and waitresses are referred to as "servers". I've never been to America so had never heard this term which seems to me a bit degrading.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Gordon Ramsey

Post by exile »

glenshena wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:15 am Watching the Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares, I was surprised to hear that in the USA the waiters and waitresses are referred to as "servers". I've never been to America so had never heard this term which seems to me a bit degrading.
I once lived there, and they do actually refer to themselves that way, as in "Hi, I'm Savannah/Travis, and I'll be your server tonight".
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I've seen that a lot in US TV programs, not necessarily food programs....i think the first time I saw that kind of thing was ten /twelve years ago where the program was at an auction
I put it down to two things creating a "persona" or a profession , and the second they are American (hampered by the english language)

Once it hits Dockhead St or Riverside Mall .........?????
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Here in Canada they also say "I'll be your server tonight". To my way of thinking a server serves which is more accurate than a waiter as a waiter does more than wait. Speaking of the English language - we watch many of the British shows on TV and are puzzled at the number of words which are
minimalized now. ex. Uni for University, Tats for tattoos etc. I guess being a colonial we have to try and keep up as the language changes.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Many years ago I once waited on the students at Trinity College- Cambridge. Not much fun though my official title was (Hall Porter)

Now firmly established as full time :Slave: in my abode. Coffee and Mince pies are popular at the moment.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

If a waiter waits,
A server serves,
Does a butler butle? :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

bonzo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:32 pm Does a butler butle? :lol:
Ha ha, yes!!
I used to say this on a wee guided tour I did of a historic house - it's really butt-ler, because the head servant had the honour of serving the most valuable comestible, i.e., the wine from its butt/barrel.
(Sidebar - you sometimes see tea-shops & bakers called "The Buttery" because owners think it sounds dairy-like, confusing it with the Butt-ery)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

exile wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:18 am
bonzo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:32 pm Does a butler butle? :lol:
Ha ha, yes!!
I used to say this on a wee guided tour I did of a historic house - it's really butt-ler, because the head servant had the honour of serving the most valuable comestible, i.e., the wine from its butt/barrel.
(Sidebar - you sometimes see tea-shops & bakers called "The Buttery" because owners think it sounds dairy-like, confusing it with the Butt-ery)
Every day's a school day!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Like glenshena said, you learn something every day :good:
Those wimin were in the nip.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I can't help but carry hunners of these in my heid, like,
. Plantagenet
. Beef/pork
. Sherriff
. Paraphernalia,
and more
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Watched his new series last night as it was filmed in Italy. With chef Gino and a friend called Fred, Gordon toured southern Italy in a campervan; Naples,Sorrento and Sardegna, where chef Gino comes from, and where they had to prepare a meal for the wedding of Gino's friend, married to an english girl. On the way down they purchased fresh lemons from the lemon groves on the Amalfi Coast, while sampling (too much) of their famous Limoncello. After that on to Naples to sample a pizza in the oldest pizzeria of Naples, blocking all the traffic on their way, so they decided to hire three scooters for the rest of the journey. They sampled lovely pizzas which Gordon said were the best he had ever tasted, then he went into the kitchen to make a pizza never been made before with lemon curd and squeezed lemon on top!!! The Owner said it was delicious and he would put it on his menu. Then they went to a buffalo farm and purchased fresh made mozzarella cheese, also to take to the wedding. The owner was a cousin of Gino.
After Naples they flew to Sardegna where Gino took them round his property including Vineyards and fruit trees. He showed off his collection of books that he has written on food and recipes. They had a few glasses of his wine which Gordon said was 'paint stripper' and was called after his wife Jessica. Needless to say Gino exagerated and had a sore head next day when they went swimming in the bay looking for seafood, mainly small octopuses which Gordon would prepare on the grill for the wedding party, while Gino made the seconds, 'porcheduu' small piglets laid on leaves of Mirto, the famous sardinian plant. The wedding was held in the Costa Smeralda, on the sandy white beach of the Baia delle Arancie. Quite enjoyable, apart from Gordons usual foul language. Tonight they are in France so I think I shall watch that one too.