Oatcakes

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Oatcakes

Post by Meg »

Anybody make oatcakes on a regular basis. Ive been making flap jacks but George and I are starting to feel a little snug in our clothes :oops: , so wanted to use up the oats making something a wee bit different.

Meg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Oatcakes

Post by hahaya2004 »

I don't make them any more, Meg, but I kept the recipe. Thye're made with oatmeal, so if you use porridge oats for your flapjacks then this recipe won't be of help.

1/2 lb. oatmeal
1/2 tsp. of salt
1tbsp. bacon fat, melted
Pinch of baking soda
Warm water to mix

Mix oatmeal, salt and baking soda and sift together. Add the fat and mix to a fairly soft consistency with the water. Turn out on a board dusted with a liberal amount of oatmeal, knead lightly and then roll out to a 1/4 " thickness. Keep the board well dusted to prevent the dough from sticking. Form into a round with a plate. Sprinkle with oatmeal, cut into four or eight pieces and cook on a warmed girdle until the edges begin to curl. Turn and cook the other side.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oatcakes

Post by Meg »

Had oatmeal in the cupboard too so will give this a bash if I can find baking soda, thanks.
Mx