Wildlife in Stevenston

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by iain »

Thanks for posting that photo, Hughie – evidently swans are elegant birds whatever their colour! I recall an Australian Black Swan turning-up in the Three Towns (at the Auchenharvie Golf Course pond) about 27 years ago. It must have escaped from a collection of captive wildfowl.

JD, Ahh, good point! I feel better about my future prospects now that I know my chances of being enslaved by avian alien overlords is very slim!
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

iain wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm
JD, Ahh, good point! I feel better about my future prospects now that I know my chances of being enslaved by avian alien overlords is very slim!
Just a thought following your lack of space-birds landing.
We never hear of space-ships full of water landing and fish taking over. :shock:

JD.

I feel Meg lurking in the wings. Back on topic before we get wur knuckles rapped. :(
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

The first moth I’ve seen this year: a Dotted Border roosting on a log at Ardeer Quarry Local Nature Reserve a couple of days ago. The second photo is of another Dotted Border that flew into my kitchen last night. This is a reasonably common species that is on the wing in February and March. Like most winter/early spring moths, it does not have a spectacular appearance. However, the row of black dots along the edge of its wing (from which, of course, it gets its name) is a subtly charming feature.

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Iain, although not Stevenston, Ayr is close by and I came into my kitchen two weeks ago to a wasp trying to get out of the window - I opened the window and it escaped but - a wasp - middle of February ?????

Two or three bees in my garden today when the sun came out - maybe the pieris coming into flower?

Meg
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Hi Meg, It’s been great to see very early and very convincing signs of spring. I had my first butterfly a week and half ago and my first bumblebees yesterday. It’s been so warm this winter, I saw my first toad at the end of January, just before the cold snap! By the end of this week and the run of warm temperatures it will bring, I wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few more things appear, before they think again when the temperature drops a few degrees in March.