Howie's Rolls - who knows the recipe

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Howie's Rolls - who knows the recipe

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

found a wee baker's shop in Balcatta in Perth WA run by a Vietnamese baker. Brilliant sub rolls with slightly crispy tops and bottoms but, never heard o' tottie scones, so I've promised to take him in a recipe, and guess what ? I huvnae got one! Help me out here you master bakers, flour, water & mashed potato, but is there another ingredient and what are the proportions. Slainge mhath.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Hi ARB

Potato Scones recipe from old school cookbook.

INGREDIENTS
8oz cooked potatoes
2oz flour
1/2 oz margarine
salt

Mash potatoes smoothly
Add salt
Add melted margarine and beat well
Work in flour
Turn onto board and knead
Roll out thinly
Cut into shape and prick
Bake on greased, heated griddle till brown
Turn

Good luck
Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

thanks for that, I'll practise making some on Sunday morning. Watch this space!
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9vntsbr68u0cfi/herdmans.pdf

I hope this 'works' and is not off-topic but this is a link to the story of Herdman's Bakery. It mentions a Neil Black as a master baker but I don't know if he is a reation to Hume Black.

Scott McCallum
Mr Black Aberdeen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mr Black Aberdeen »

I found these posts by accident and was intrigued to find a discussion about Herdmans the bakers and my father Hume Black, and grandfather Neil Black. I realise the last post on this was a long time ago but hopefully some of your are still out there. I cannot help you with the recipes but I am sure Hume's recipe book was passed onto a friend and fellow baker, Jim Wilson, who lived in Ardrossan.

I have fond memories of going to Herdmans on a Saturday when I was a boy to get free pies our of the oven.

It's been interesting to see people remembering my father and the details on Herdmans, the Kandy Bar, an the night classes are spot on. Thanks for jogging my memory of many years ago.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Mr Black Aberdeen wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 pm I found these posts by accident and was intrigued to find a discussion about Herdmans the bakers and my father Hume Black, and grandfather Neil Black. I realise the last post on this was a long time ago but hopefully some of your are still out there. I cannot help you with the recipes but I am sure Hume's recipe book was passed onto a friend and fellow baker, Jim Wilson, who lived in Ardrossan.

I have fond memories of going to Herdmans on a Saturday when I was a boy to get free pies our of the oven.

It's been interesting to see people remembering my father and the details on Herdmans, the Kandy Bar, an the night classes are spot on. Thanks for jogging my memory of many years ago.
A warm welcome to the Threetowners Mr Black. A couple of the people who contributed to this topic still visit the forum so fingers crossed …

Meg
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

I was started in Herdmans by your dad,and have many fond memories of Hume.We went to theKandy Bar in1967 together and played a great part in building it to what it is now.He helped me to make my wedding cake and EE spent many a Saturday night over a couple of pints in The Crown.It was a sad day when he departed this world and I lost a good friend.
Mr Black Aberdeen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mr Black Aberdeen »

Thank you very much for the response. I seem to remember a Gordon at Herdmans. If you were dark haired young guy with a beard and moustache then I may well remember you.