Piano Marathon (Dec 2000)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Piano Marathon (Dec 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000

The other day my wife and I were discussing Christmas present and agreed that on of the younger member of the family should have the latest addition of the Guinness Book Of Records....................................................... this must have started the rusty cog wheels churning away in my memory taking me back...back....back:

Do any Threetowners remember back in the fifties when a young man took over the Pavilion in Saltcoats (before it was turned into a bowling alley) and tried to get into the Guinness Book of Records as being the person in Scotland who played the piano for the most number of hours non stop? As somebody has already pointed out (and I thank that person) my memory for names and details is not what it used to be. I can't remember if he succeeded in getting into the record book but I do remember seeing how swollen his hands had become. Can anyone go back far enough to fill in the gaps for me?

Regards
Tony McGuire

Yes I remember going to see him as well. Cannot for the life of me remember
his name though. Some feat eh!!

Ewan

Bobby McCubbin and Eddie McCracken remember the chap playing the piano.
He had only 20 mins. to go to get the record and he collapsed. His Manager
kept trying to wake him up but he didn't manage it . He broke the record 3
months later. Netta

Hi There
I went to watch the guy who played the piano for the record and I think his name was Glen Dale or Dale Glen something like that... if that's not correct maybe it will trigger your memory. I too remember his swollen hands. He must have attempted this in the mid to late fifties.
Margaret Gemmell (McCubbin)