Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000
Subject: [3T] Two Ardrossan Questions

(1). The burn that came from Whitlees Dam next to Ardrossan cemetery through
the Academy School, passed the piggery and through the children's playing
area at the bottom of Hunter Avenue, then through the Plantation and under the
railway to South Beach. We knew that burn as the "Galloway Burn", yet
everywhere you look it says "Stanley Burn" ?

(2). What is the name for the alleyway from Glasgow Street between the WW2
Memorial and the Gospel Hall and leads to the Cannon Hill? If you have the
answers please reply to the group.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000

Hugh asked about small ally way between the Gospel hall and the Memorial gardens. This small of piece of ground was owned by the local free masons who at the time owned the castle craigs and two tennis courts. The town council bought this small piece of land from the masons for the sum of £50. This was to enable the council to make the cannon hill more assessable to the people of good old Ardrossan. As for the memorial garden, the mason's sold this piece of ground to the council for the sum of £200.
best wishes
john

Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000

Hugh, I attended Ardrossan Central Primary School and passed what we called
the Galloway burn four times a day. M.

Hugh I think the reason that the "Galloway Burn" is referred to as the "Stanley Burn" is because it's a modern day name and it's next to the Stanley Hotel. My dad said he never heard it called anything other than the "Galloway Burn" until the last few year's. He also says the opening up to the Castle Hill never had a name it was only an easy access to the hill from Glasgow Street.

Thanks John, Jean & Margaret for responding to my questions. The Galloway Burn
appears to have been renamed the Stanley Burn in recent times - we appear all agreed on that. Hmmmm, perhaps we could suggest a name for the Alley way to
the Cannon Hill from Glasgow Street.

BTW I see in the "Old Ardrossan" book that the Gospel Hall which flanks the Alley was built in 1846 as the 'Female School of Industry' - an institution founded to provide education for the children of the poor. For us in 1950 onwards, Jock Trodden's Gospel Hall and also the 'Seamen's Mission' in Seaton Street were all part of our religious exposure while growing up in a working class community.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000

I can remember Jock Trodden's Gospel Hall and the Seamen's Mission very well, and we also went to the Salvation Army one night a week. I think the attraction for me was the lantern slides and the wee bun that you got, it was more fun than our normal place of worship St Johns we had to go there 2- 3 times on a Sunday, as if that wasn't enough for a Sunday I would go to Mass with my pal until we discovered the "Monkey Walk" then we would go out in our Sunday best which you would normally wear for church head for her granny's and get all dolled up with the panstick, mascara, lipstick and a wee dab of 'Evening In Paris' behind the lug's and that was you set for the traipsing up and down. She always had to find out who said mass in case her mother asked her when she got home.

Jean Boyce