Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Saltcoats Grocery store

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000
Subject: [3T] grocery store

Hi group, Something has just crossed my mind and maybe someone can do a little investigating. My Dad used to tell me he was a grocery store manager in Saltcoats before he came to America. It would be about l918, and I believe he said the store was called Liptons? Perhaps if anyone has any other store names, they could kindly pass it on to me, to see if it rings a bell....I would like to put this in his history but cannot remember for sure what the name was. Also , it would have been between 1918 and 1925. Thanks, for putting your thinking caps on...The group has been very quiet.............Have a great day, Penni

Hi Penni O
Can't help with that as I wasn't born then but you probably have the 'Lipton' name for a grocery in Saltcoats right. There was a Lipton's grocery there in the early 60s, and if my memory serves me right it was in Dockhead Street round the corner from Chapelwell Street. Think it might have even been the first supermarket in the district.

Hugh McCallum

To: "three towners" <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 8:51 PM

Hi List. Was the Liptons shop the one with the black and white tiles on the floor?. George reckons it was near Woolworths. All I can remember was the black and white tiles!!. Can you help us out Jean?. Sally O xx

Sally,
I think you are right when you say that Liptons was near Woollies. I don't remember the black and white tiles but "I DO " remember the great smell of coffee. They stocked coffee beans of all kinds even before most people started to drink the stuff. That is my memory of Liptons .

Hi guys, Thanks so much for all the info on Liptons.......Its really great to watch the conversations going back and forth..I watch eagerly for all the comments. Sometimes one little word triggers a memory. Out of all the lists I am on, I really enjoy this one the best......Perhaps when my family makes a trip to Saltcoats, I can use all these messages to take a journey back in time.. Everyone..........have a great day...........Penni O

To: threetowners@ topica.com
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000

There was a Liptons on Glasgow Street in Ardrossan too in the 1960' s. If I was looking bedraggled or untidy my Dad used to say I was " like Liptons orphan". Apparently the gentleman who rose to be chairman of the Lipton Group was an orphan who worked in a shop and slept under the counter at night ! Does anyone remember Lothians the butcher on Glasgow Street ? I used to love going there as they had sawdust on the floor. I used to build "sandcastles" with it while I waited for my mum to buy the meat. They also made deliveries in a little grey van. I can remember a bakers van , fish van and general store van that all used to come round the streets selling their wares.
Karen.

On my last posting I stated that Liptons sold coffee well I was wrong. My sister called me back and verified that Liptons was next to Woolies and they did have black and white tiles on the floor. Now I am going to throw another name into the fray
"WILKIES" they were the ones who sold the coffee. The were situated halfway
up Hamilton Street. Keep the names coming.

Regards
Tommy Hanlon

To:<threetowners@topica.com>

Thats right Tommy!!!! I can remember Wilkies. They did sell the coffee. They
also used to sell plain cookies. This was my mothers favourite. It was a
cross between a cake and scone, and you put butter on it. She also used to
get" "ginger buns", which you also buttered. Sally O xxx

Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000

re Liptons in Ardrossan, My mother used to work there in the 60s ,and when we ( my wife and kids and I )came to OZ in the 70s wewere at a dance and noticed a man from SALTCOATS on speaking to him a lady next to him called my name ,it was his wife and she used to work in the same Liptons at the same time as my mother Small world isn,t it the fish man in Ardrossan was a man called Howie and the grocer was a chap called Davidsons Ialso remember the man who used to sell bleach and clothe lines and bunches of sticks for starting the fire .george

Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000

I remember the black and white tiles on the floor at Liptons, I also remember the sawdust on the floor when I was younger. before it became Maypole and a supermarket, you used to be able to to get the butter from the great big block, they used wooden paddles to pat the butter into a block before wrapping it. Wwhen we asked for cheese they used wire cutters to cut the great big round barrell shaped block of cheese. Sugar was weighed into a brown bag. I can remember the different types of bacon that could be bought, like Ayrshire bacon and Belfast ham.

What was thhe name of the grocer that was also in Dockhead St. across the road and next to the shoe shop where they had the xray machine to see if your shoes fitted properly. On the other side of the shop was a bank I think then a church. That grocer is the one that I remember had the coffee smell, it also had a great big coffee grinding machine in the main area, the same grocer also had a shop across the road I think it was next to the hardware shop which was next to the Braes Lane. I remember the owner of the grocery shop when I was collecting for the lifeboats with the collection receptacle in the shape of a lifeboat, put a 10 shilling note in, I nearly died that was an incredible lot of money in the 50's.

regards Betty Woodland

Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000

After reading Bettys message, I remembered going to church. But, it seems this was a big Church across from the water. It would have had to been Methodist since I needed to have the Pastor sign my appropriate papers , so that when I returned home , I received credit for my attendance. Is this Church in Saltcoats?. I must comment on a buddie my family has met from Threetowners. His name is Steve, and he is a local disc jockey, I believe he is about 17. If Steve is an example of your youth in the area, you should be very proud. He is a very nice, well mannered young person and has often offered to help with any inquiries we have had...I love being on this list..............Have a great day........Penni O