Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lairds Isle - the ship (Feb 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000
Subject: [3T] STEAMING

Does any of our tribe have a photo of the Glen Sannox or the Lairds Isle (ships) ?
bobg

Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000
Subject: Re: [3T] STEAMING

Bob,
I've a photo of the "Lairds Isle" taken from the Ardrossan book. I'll send it privately to you.

What memories the old ship gave us. As a small boy I would stand on a chair at our living room window looking down McDowall Avenue watching the puffer boats on the firth of Clyde. When I was older I'd watch for the tell-tale black smoke between the Southern tip of Arran and Ailsa Craig, heralding the arrival of the 'Lairds Isle' from Belfast. We'd head off down there to carry suitcases and hopefully, with a bogey, (home made wheel barrow) get someone who was not boarding the boat train but was going all the way to Glasgow Street to catch the Kilmarnock or Ayr bus outside the Park Church. Isn't nostalgia a wonderful thing!

My brother Bobby had a friend who worked on the "Lairds Isle". Bobby had a few free trips to Belfast in those days. Little did he know that later he would again have a few more free trips to Belfast - courtesy of Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne

Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2000

Thanks for the photo Hugh

The name "Lairds Isle" was often used in our house to describe something that was smokey e.g. a smoking lum was like the Lairds Isle. The boat it'self was characterised by her excessive smoke from the twin funnels. There is a technical explanation of why she was so smoky but it escapes me now.My Grandfather was for along spell a carpenter in Ardrossan shipyard and after he retired from there he used to take his grandson (me) on long walks through the dockyard and all the way into Saltcoats Quay where he would usually meet up with some of his old pals .These walks were magical for me and I believe instilled my desire to "see the world" (later fulfilled.) Being well known at the Dockyard we were able to get aboard almost anything that was in at the time. I remember vaguely the Lairds Isle and even a submarine ..."The Talisman".!
The Laird's Isle was full of character and I often wonder why she had to be broken up so early. I think she was used at Dunkirk and/or in the D-Day landings but that might not be right. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.
BobG

My how that name brought back memories ,many a time I saw the old dear in dry dock at ARDROSSAN when just a wee boy ,My father used to be a crane driver in those days ( it was a steam crane and he used to let me help him stoke the engine ) And the times when with pals we used to help them unload the fishing trawlers and they would usually give us a cod to take home. Then as we grew the days in the summer waiting at the pier for the Arran boat or the Irish boat to help carry a case for the weary holiday makers ,hoping in return to get a bob or two ,Sometimes all you got was a pleasant thankyou, that didn't get you a bag of chips or a bottle of Lee's pop, but the shipyard and the pier were a very busy place in those days ,not like they were the last time i saw them, happy memories G , O'connor

Some of you might not have the "Old Ardrossan" book so here's what it says about the "Lairds Isle"

Originally called the Riviera, The Lairds Isle was purchased by Burns-Laird Line in 1932 and began sailing between Ardrossan and Belfast in June the following year. After being requisitioned by the Royal Navy for convoy duty during the Second World War, the Lairds Isle resumed the Belfast run in 1946. She continued to operate this service until she was broken up at Troon in 1957.

The vessel that took over the run was the "Irish Coast". The Isle of Man ships that sailed from Ardrossan were very impressive looking ships but the Lairds Isle seemed to have the character. Good to see such good postings on this subject.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2000

Again I must thank the Mariners List and Ted Finch in particular who has supplied the following regarding Ardrossan's favourite ship the "Laird's Isle". The old girl sure hid her age well, tho' in hind site the rake of her bow should have told the story.

Hugh McCallum
Melbourne

<-<-<-<-<-<-Start of Quoted Material
Hello Hugh,
Here are the details you want.

1,674 gross tons, 649 net tons, length 98,45m x beam 12,45m x depth 5,03m, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 20.5 knots. Coal burner. Accommodation for 105-1st and 45-2nd class passengers and was also designed to carry cars. Crew 56.

Built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton and launched on 1st Apr.1911 as the RIVIERA for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway and entered service on the Calais route on 8th June. In 1914 she was temporarily converted to a seaplane carrier for 3 planes, and in 1915 was permanently converted by Cunard at Liverpool, given a large hangar aft and carried 4 planes.

Refitted at Chatham in 1920, she returned to service in April. On 1st Jan.1923 she transferred to Southern Railway and in 1925 was replaced by new steamers and placed in reserve and summer work.

Purchased by J.B.Couper in 1932 for Burns & Laird, she was renamed LAIRD'S ISLE, converted to oil burning and placed on the Ardrossan (day) - Belfast service. From 1939 she served as a Fleet Air Arm target ship and an Armed Boarding Vessel at Dover. Converted in 1944 into a Landing Ship Infantry, LS1(H) - with six manually launched Landing Craft Assault (LCAs). Pennant 4.21. Released in 1945 and refitted by Denny, she returned to service and was eventually scrapped at Troon in 1957.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.24, Britain's Railway Steamers, Western & Southern companies, French & Stena]

Her sister ship ENGADINE went to the Philippines in 1933, renamed CORREGIDOR and was mined and sunk in Manila Bay in 1941.

regards
Ted
<-<-<-<-<-<-End of Quoted Material

ADDED : A fuller story on the Lairds Isle by Tom McGrattan of Ardrossan can be found here at threetowners.com