Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

La Scala - Picture theatre (Jan 2000)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2000
Subject: [3T] La Scala

I saw a sad picture of the old cinema La Scala recently and it reminded me of the days when we lied about our age and tried to get in to see the "X" films at La Scala. From memory, we never seen anything that you don't see every night on prime time telly. How lucky we were in those days to have three good picture houses and all this 40 years before the multi screen establishments today. I liked upstairs in the Regal best. I remember the first big cinemascope film : The Robe. I seem to recall that we were taken to see this by the school but I might be wrong.
bobg

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000
Subject: Re: [3T] La Scala

Hi
When you went to see the Robe I was the ice-cream Boy who served you. we sold ice cream in both the La Scala and the Regal . I enjoyed the front seats in the Regal ,Best of all - because I often received a Sixpenny ip( for not looking?) It was 1/9d for those fantastic double seats. Oh! by the way my name is Bill mc kinnie and my girlfriend at the time was Greta Pendleton and her father was a school teacher called Joe who taught at the central school.I would like to take this opportunity to thank Hugh and you guys for bringing back the good times we had in the towns. After working at the picture houses I would go to the Central or the Melbourne Cafe's for a coke