Curling Rinks (Dec 1999)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Curling Rinks (Dec 1999)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners@topica.com>
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999

There was a curling rink on the backroad to West Kilbride which branched off Dalry Road Ardrossan. (near the Mill Farm) I believe the rink was opposite and close to the underground petrol tanks that Jean mentioned when we spoke about air-raid shelters in the three towns.

Some time ago I came across a mention of it in the 1841 census. Was there other rinks around the three towns and surrounds? appreciate any knowledge on this subject as Ardrossan Curling Club is reputed to have played in the first International Curling event.

Hugh McCallum
in Melbourne

To: <threetowners@iList.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999

As far as I can find out the curling rink on the back road was the only one
in the three town's. Dalry had one down the public park. The curling is very
popular in the area they have it at Auchenharvie and the magnum in Irvine.
Cheers Jean Boyce Saltcoats.

To: threetowners@topica.com
Sent: Friday, December 24, 1999
Subject: [3T] Curling

This is my first real posting to your group since I expressed an interest in it.
I am currently vice-president/treasurer of Ardrossan Castle Curling Club and have a fairly keen interest in its history.
I have heard stories of using the Mill Dam as an ice rink and there appears to be many variations as to it's exact location. Also it appears that after one particular session (where the participants perhaps got a little "tired and emotional" due to the properties of the liquid they were consuming) the stones were left on the ice in anticipation of another days curling. Unfortunately, a rapid thaw took place and the stones ended up at the bottom of the reservoir in thick mud and are still there to this day.

There was another club in Ardrossan called the "ALMA", and I believe it ceased around the turn of the century. They used an area of ground behind South Crescent Road between what is now the bowling club and the bottom of Castle Hill. This was hard or tarmacadam ground that was flooded at appropriate times and clubs were sent postcards on the mornings of when the ice was good. Apparently there were three postal deliveries in those days (on the same day of posting!!) and local clubs could be curling by noon that same day.

The ALMA club only came to my knowledge only recently because Ardrossan Castle were given (or took over) their prizes and one particular medal which (as far as we can determine) was in our possession but not played for, turned up for sale at a sports memorabilia auction. It was spotted by a local Sherriff (The renowned David Buchanan Smith - a curler and fanatical collector) who reckoned that it was stolen and stopped the sale. Cutting a long story short, we entered into negotiation with the owner and came to a compromise agreement where we got the medal back in exchange for part of its
estimated value.

There is also an area on the Great Cumbrae behind Millport that can be flooded to provide ice and this was used about three years ago to great effect. Sadly, I missed the occasion but saw a video recording of the day and it looked great fun.

I can't comment on global warming or climatic changes but it would appear that the days of the long hard frosts are fewer and further between and the chances of me getting my father's original stones out for an outdoor event appear small.

I'd be delighted to research more information for you and the group and you may use this as you see fit but please indicate that it is just the story as I have heard and not hard fact.
Regards
Andy Bryson

Sent: Friday, December 24, 1999

Follow up to previous email.
I forgot to answer one question.
I recently played in what is reputed to be the oldest 'International' curling competition in existence. That is between Ardrossan Castle Curling Club and the 'Irish Curling
Association'.
This was played for many years in the late nineteenth century between the above mentioned clubs and then a break of 80 odd years occurred before its resurrection about 7 or 8 years ago. We now play for the original medal mounted in a wooden trophy depicting a stone and sail (to signify the crossing of the water) once a year between ACCC and Irish players resident in Scotland. We believe it is genuinely the oldest competition still running (albeit with a large break) and I reckon there's an element of doubt from the Royal Caledonian Curling Club but it's good fun and played in the nature
that it should be.
Once again, please feel free to pass this on and if you need further research please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Cheers
Andy Bryson

Sent: Saturday, December 25, 1999

Hi Andy,
Really enjoyed your post relating the game of Curling. I recall the tarmac area you say was used as a curling rink at Ardrossan. I remember passing through that sunken area on the way to the Cubs / Boy scouts clubhouse which was just along from the bowling club - that was some fifty years ago! I had no idea that's what that area was used for. James Taylor a local historian wrote me on the same subject and is in accord with you. In the book "Old Ardrossan" there is a turn of the century photograph of the Mill Curling Pond, the caption states it's situated between Mill and Rashley Farms.

Hugh McCallum
in Melbourne