St. John's - class of 1948

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

St. John's - class of 1948

Post by John Donnelly »

While discussing the old Stevenston characters in the Porry Grimley topic, Frank Quinn wondered aloud, (if you can do that in print?), about our old class-mates at St. John's. I put my thinking-cap on and after a bit of head-scratching I came up with the following list. I'd love to see just how far we get in tracing as many as we can.
Come on Threetowners, lets see how efficient you are.

It's amazing. I put this list from 60 years ago together without a great deal of bother. I can't remember what I had for my dinner yesterday, but this was a dawdle.

John D.

St. John’s – Class of 1948

John Donnelly - Sojer - Sassenheim, Holland.
Frank Quinn Sheffield.
Gerry O’Sullivan - Sully - Bumped into Gerry 20-odd years ago in the Castleweirok. No idea.
Pat Monahan - Monty - Bumped into Pat 20-odd years ago in the Shell. Pat died.
Joe Burns - Josey - Joe was a singer in the club circuit in England. Joe died.
Martin Devanny No idea. I think he was a cousin of the Duffys.
Willie Duffy Willie cut out the centre spot in Lisbon when Celtic won the European Cup. I think I heard that Willie died.
John Duffy Willie’s cousin. Joined the class later from Glasgow. No idea.
David Boyle - Davey - David was killed in an accident, building the Nylon plant.
Peter Bird. Peter never left Stevenston and died a few years ago. I met him for the first time in years shortly before he died. Peter was a big contributor to the Threetowners.
Alec Taggart - Stan - Bumped into Alec about 15 years ago in Bobby’s Bar. No idea.
John Watson No idea.
Brian Young Brian owns a hotel in Blackpool. Later on, I knew Brian’s brother Ian well.
Michael Walsh No idea. Michael’s brother Bernard is a Threetowner.
Arthur Brezlin Brezzy - Bumped into Arthur 30-odd years ago in Joe Rankin’s. No idea.
Sam McMail Satch - I heard that Sam was a successful businessman, who is now retired in Spain.
Arthur Robertson Robie - Joined the class for the last few years as a convert. No idea.
Willie Burns Wullie - No idea.
David Pollock Poly - No idea. His brother, Gerry, still lives in Stevenston.
Sam Collins Sammy - No idea. His sister, Jeanette, married Eric Murray. As far as I know they still live in Stevenston.
Robert McKay Rab - As far as I know he is still living in Stevenston. My brother Gerry knows him. He used to get into the Shell.
Patrick Hamilton Paddy - I know his family is still in the town, but I have heard nothing about Pat.
Robert Murray Gus - Gus got hurt in the first year and spent most of it in hospital. He dropped into the year below us. No idea where he is now.
Brian Kennedy No idea. Brian might have been a year younger than us.
Alan McEwan Alan’s family moved to England in the second or third year. Apparently his father was a manager in ICI.
Stephen Grimley Stevie - I met Steve 4 or 5 years ago at the Ardeer Golf Club where he is a member and plays regularly.
James Kilday Jimmy - Jimmy became ill and spent a long time in hospital.
He dropped into a class lower.

Alice Mary Traynor Alice Mary is family. She became a nun and spent most of her life in Africa. I met her for the first time in years a couple of years ago.
Vera Devine. No idea.
Helen Murphy No idea.
Agnes O’Rourke Bumped into Agnes about 10 or 15 years ago. She cleans the Church. She is very shy and would not talk to me.
Margaret? McBlain No idea.
Esther Carey No idea.
Betty Curry Betty emigrated to Canada very early on, possibly in the first year.
June McBride June might have been a year younger; - not sure. I think she is a Threetowner too.
Doreen Cavani Doreen is a good friend of my sister-in-law. Doreen is a nurse. Doreen and Brian Young are cousins.
Rena Boyle I see Rena now and again. Her husband gets into the Shell, as I do when I go home.
Margaret McCubbin No idea.
Nancy Trearty No idea. I think Nancy got kept back into our year.
Sadie Lennon I think she was Rena Boyle’s cousin. I think she got kept back into our year.
Kathy Burns No idea.
Bernadette McMaster No idea. Might have been a year older than us?
Patricia Hanlon Pat - Pat moved to Saltcoats, St. Mary’s in the first or second year. We met later at St. Michaels again. No idea.
Katherine Vetisi She emigrated very early on too.
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: St. John's - class of 1948

Post by frank quinn »

Hello again john,
had a look great list, can tell you about a few, Pat Hanlon, saw her the last couple
of times i have been home, did not speak to her, Sam Collins has joined the 3t's i think he is still in
stinson. Wullie Burns, alive and kickin in Saltcoats across the road from oor Moira.

see you

frank
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hi john,
Maybe some of your classmates here, from the St. John's football page.

St. Johns C1965
Source : Peter Bird
St. Johns C1965.jpg (54944 bytes)

Back: R. Pepper, B. Walsh, M. Walsh (Canada), J. Mitchell, J. McBride (South Africa) E. McHugh, J. Burns. Front row: H. Rafferty (Australia), E. Murray, P. Bird, T. McCann, B. O’Neil.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Morag,

sorry to be thick, but I have searched the whole forum and cannot find Peter's football page. Where do I find it.

John D.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi John,
It's a sub-page of the St Johns School photos page. See here
Last edited by Hughie on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated link
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hugh,

thanks. I looked on that page several times and never noticed the football link. Sorry.

Morag,

thanks for the tip. Yes, Joe Burns, Michael Walsh and Peter Bird were all in our class.

John D.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You're welcome John. My uncles Frank and John are in one of the pics. By the way, do you know what the St. John's boys guild was? I see two of my classmates were in it.
Morag
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

hewmac wrote:Hi John,
Hughie when I click on the link I'm not getting the class of 1948 I would like to see that as I know a couple of folks in it.

Josephine.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

John Donnelly wrote:Morag,
sorry to be thick, but I have searched the whole forum and cannot find Peter's football page. Where do I find it.
John D.
elvis1913 wrote:
hewmac wrote:Hi John,
Hi Josephine the link was for Peter Bird's St Johns football page. The subject heading of this topic isn't referring to a photo from 1948. :wink:
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Oh........................ :oops: ....................so is there a pic of class of 48 (the ones with all the names in John D's post)? :mrgreen: (or was he just reminiscing)?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

No there is no photo that I know about.
On another matter - have you checked your PMs in the last few days? :wink:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Josephine,

unfortunately, I was just reminiscing. Frank Quinn set me off. Blame him. I have no photo of the class. I wish I had. You said you knew a couple of people on the list. Who are they, and how are they getting on?

John D.