Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Local Sportsmen's Gallery

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
December 1, 1944

John Auld

For the past thirty or forty years Auld has been a football name, in Stevenston and the name still remains fresh in the memory of the football fans. John Auld has been in the limelight for many years. A cute craft player who could fill any position with credit. As a half-back he was of the Bobby Brown type, "carpet" passes with judgment that a ball seldom failed to reach where it was intended.

Although it is a long time since he put his boots past in the locker, still, that John Auld touch is still commented on by those who remember him as a player. He could "kill" a ball better than any player in Ayrshire and his parting with a ball was neat, sharp and to advantage. Just one of the players who helped to make Ayrshire one of the best quarters for players of outstanding ability, for he always played with the head, and didn't allow his feet to act without instructions from the brain.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Hughie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 am Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
May 14, 1943

Alex McMaster

Stevenston can lay claim to many players who have represented their country on the football field, and Alex. McMaster is one of them. As a left-back he was outstanding-not showy, but a real honest to goodness player who always gave of his best.

I think this might be my grandfather's brother. I don't remember him as a footballer but my brother (Ian) remembers he played for Winton Rovers and at one time he had one of his medals but he does not known where it is now nor what it said on it. Why I am hesitant is that the article says he played for Scotland and I would have thought we would have known that.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Graham, There's a FB group named "Ayrshire Junior Football History" they might be able to help - they appear to be reasonably active group. I think the admin is or was a sports reporter.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Retsum wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:13 am I think this might be my grandfather's brother. I don't remember him as a footballer but my brother (Ian) remembers he played for Winton Rovers and at one time he had one of his medals but he does not known where it is now nor what it said on it. Why I am hesitant is that the article says he played for Scotland and I would have thought we would have known that.
Retsum
Last year, a book titled 'Junior Scotland 1889 to 2019 - The Players and The Matches' was published by Douglas Gorman and Tom McGouran. In it, Alex McMaster of Stevenston Thistle is listed as having played twice for Junior Scotland. The first time was at Firhill Park in Glasgow against the Glasgow Junior Football Association who won 3-2. His next game was at Grosvenor Park in Belfast against Ireland who won 1-0. Alex was Scotland captain in his first game.
George
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Thanks for that George. Irene is looking into a possible connection to my grandfather.

(Edited) Alex and my grandfather were brothers. My thanks to hahaya2004 for her work in establishing that.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Well done everyone - it's marvellous when you can make a connection such as this. :D
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

George Ardrossan wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:27 am Retsum
Last year, a book titled 'Junior Scotland 1889 to 2019 - The Players and The Matches' was published by Douglas Gorman and Tom McGouran. In it, Alex McMaster of Stevenston Thistle is listed as having played twice for Junior Scotland. The first time was at Firhill Park in Glasgow against the Glasgow Junior Football Association who won 3-2. His next game was at Grosvenor Park in Belfast against Ireland who won 1-0. Alex was Scotland captain in his first game.
George
I should have added that the Glasgow game was played on 27January 1917 and the Belfast match on 24 March 1917.
George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

February 1, 1946

James McIlroy

Among the many goalkeepers discovered by Kilwinning Rangers was James McIlroy, and while he was not included in any of the “Buffs' great teams, he was nevertheless a 'keeper who helped to uphold the prestige of the Rangers. Since giving up the game he has become secretary of the Kilwinning Rangers reconstruction committee and with others is trying to get things in order for August.

Many difficulties have come their way and no doubt will take some time to overcome. Things are not going as well as they would like, but we are sure that James McIlroy with the help of a hard working committee, will straighten things out a bit before very long. Players and officials from Kilwinning are hard to beat when they are out for success, so we expect this committee with the help of the public will again succeed.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

February 1, 1946

Davy Docherty

About 36 years ago when Ardeer Thistle played on Warner Park, Stevenston, the echo of the cheers and jeers could be heard far and wide for in these days they took their football very seriously. Thistle reared many first-class goalkeepers and was of the type that travelled anywhere without fear and in these far-off days junior football was a man's game.

Davy was a 'keeper who had the ability but what mattered most he had courage. He took part in many hectic struggles and his understanding with both backs was always commented on. The rules were a bit different then and the keeper didn't get the protection as they get now. It was a by-word "rush the goalie" and they did braw and hearty. Both goalkeepers were tough and could take it and often gave more than they got. Yes, Davy Docherty will always be remembered by old Thistle fans as the 'keeper who feared no foe. He is still going strong as a foreman plumber with the I.C.I.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Remind me where Warner park was please
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

meekan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:31 pm Remind me where Warner park was please

https://greyhoundracingtimes.co.uk/2020 ... rner-park/
:good:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes, I remember the greyhound track at Hillside Street. It would have been around where the golf driving range is. The Stevenston Motorcycle club used to have scrambles there in the late 1950s on a Friday night - went there a few times.