Football is back - Aussie Rules

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Football is back - Aussie Rules

Post by Hughie »

It will be great to see the Aussie rules season start up again tonight. There would normally be a crowd of 80,000 plus for a game between Collingwood and Richmond but with the Coronavirus pandemic that won't happen.

But they will have cardboard cut-outs of the fans. Our Grandson Fraser, Jamie's son will be one of the cut-outs. So we will be watching for him - hope he behaves himself. Ha haha Here's his cut-out. :wink:

meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Football is back - Aussie Rules

Post by meekan »

Is that a Winton Rovers scarf Hughie?
He looks so happy I hope he is still happy after the game. I hope his team wins!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I take it it’s being televised Hughie - enjoy ...
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes Meg, It's live tonight - I told him to give us a :smt039 when the camera is on him. :roll:
Angus, no, it's a Collingwood Magpie scarf. I do have the official Winton Rovers centenary T-shirt which I got when I was at Dick Malcolmson's send off at the Winton Rovers clubhouse some years ago.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Hughie

Dick Malcomson's testimonial game was on 28 July 1992. The report below is from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald.
WINTON ROVERS 0 – CELTIC 4
Celts to the fore for Dick
The fans turned out in force and Celtic turned on the style to mark Winton Rovers veteran Dick Malcolmson‘s well-deserved testimonial at the Ardrossan club ‘s ground on Tuesday night (28 July 1992). Both teams provided a guard of honour as Dick, who has been ten years with the club, ran onto the pitch and he went on to produce a typically hard-working performance - and there was an additional reason tor celebration in the Malcolmson family on Dick‘s big night. Son Scott, who is following in dad ‘s footballing bootsteps, was eight on the night and he was given the thrill of joining his father, Rovers’ captain, in the centre circle prior to the start. Winton showed off the latest of their pro-season recruits, Billy Armour from Craigmark and Jimmy Boag, signed minutes before the kick off from Dalry Thistle – and there were several of Malcolmson’s old pals including Jimmy Murray (Cumnock), Jackie Conway (Saltcoats), Hugh Houston (Craigmark) and former Winton favourites Paul Halley and Jimmy Montgomery in the squad to boost the occasion. At the end of the day, the result did not matter. Celtic won 4-0. It was a special night for a special Winton Rovers servant. For the record, the goals for a highly skilled Celtic outfit were scored by Simon Donnelly, Brian Smith, Billy Dolan and Mark Donaghy.

Simon Donnelly had a very successful career with Celtic and played for Scotland ten times.

George
Last edited by George Ardrossan on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, George. Dick was named after my wife's father, Richard McGurk. The families were very close. I have a photo somewhere of Dick and I at the presentation - I'll have a look for it. :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here we go! Dick Malcolmson, my wife and I and Dick's wife at the presentation night Winton Rovers clubrooms 1992. Must have been 2007, sorry.

George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

That's a smashing photo, Hughie. Thanks for posting it.

Incidentally, in your first post, you mentioned that you got an official Winton Rovers centenary T-shirt at Dick's testimonial. That was in 1992 and the club was founded in 1900 so you must have got the shirt in 2000 or later.

This year marks the 120th anniversary of Winton's founding. There were plans to have several commemorative events and have a book written on its history but these have been postponed because of Covid. Hopefully, they might get back on track before the end of the year.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You are spot on, George. The Tee shirt I bought that night in 1992 2007 commemorates the founding year - just had a look in my wardrobe.