Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

First day we've been able cycle were we want (without a false beard).
So, headed from Irvine to Stewarton and kilmaurs before stopping at Halfords in kilmarnock to pick up a new bottom bracket for my other bike.
Back on the road I pointed the bike towards the coast down past Dundonald before turning back into Irvine along with Gailes rd. Around the Beach park and harbour then into kilwinning.
From there a straight run to Stevenston along the High road through Saltcoats and Ardrossan where I turned back along North Crescent road, South beach, round the Braes, along the Prom and round the Dugtrack to see my Faither(first time since Christmas Eve). Then it was back hame to Castlepark via the Quarry and Dubbs rd.
Another cracker of a morning with lots of sunshine and light winds, just the way I like it :D 45 miles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Started off going to Stewarton again but this week I went left to Dunlop. From there to Barmill, Beith and Kilbirnie and up the hill towards Largs (have I ever mentioned that I hate hills?)
Legs like jelly when I got to the top, I stopped to take a photo :wink: then onwards past the reservoirs and the crematorium before the long descent of the Hailey brae.
I'm glad I went the way I did as I was freewheeling with brakes on I was passing around 10 cyclists on their way up the brae, jeez I don't think I could do it.
Back down on the coast a straight run through Fairlie, Seamill and the 3 toons and hame.
Around Fairlie and the North shore there was a lot of folk out doing the kilt walk, good to see.
50 miles today.
I'll add my relive as there is a couple of photos.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vMq57o8WE8O
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Brilliant, bonzo :clap: That relive app is great and so is the kilt walk which i had to google as i had never heard.
Btw - i bet you never past your :Cycling Proficiency Test: before JD as i seen a photo of him today taken at St Micks 1961 :P
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Funny that - I was heading to Stewarton too, but changed my mind.

Lovely morning - was out in shorts and short sleeves for the first time this year!
Breezy though - in my face for the first half hour.

Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Benslie. then farm roads, ending up at Knockentiber. Kilmaurs, then looped back and onto the cycle path into Irvine.

Around Milgarholm park. The footbridge over the river was closed, so headed into town, over Irvine cross and followed the main road out to Kilwinning.
Dubbs road, then stevenson, saltcoats front, cut up at the Laurieston and headed home.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Brilliant stuff, Bonzo and Bruce. Haven't been on my bike much lately owing to Arthur Eyetis. Apart from that I'm sure the many hours I spent in the saddle through the years has been good for my wellbeing as I've aged. :gamer1:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Left the house just after 7 this morning with no idea where I was going to go.
So through the 3 toons and turned up at the Alpine stores in Ardrossan where you have a climb up across the bypass and keep climbing until Coalhill farm where you can relax as you sweep down past the Munnoch.
Then turning right I headed to Dalry and back into Kilwinning.
Onwards to Auchenteber and back onto Irvine at the Girdle toll, then from the Staincastle I went to Stewarton (for the 3rd week running) and Kilmaurs and Kilmarnock, Crosshouse, Springside and Dreghorn then hame.
Another great morning for a cycle with barely a breath of wind. 50 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That sounds like a good run.

I was out a bit later - left just after 9. Was in shorts and short sleeved top when I went to get bike out the garage - it was freezing - so a jacket was added. I was glad of that!

Saltcoats, high rd to Stevenston & Dubbs Rd, and on to Kilwinning. Just short of Eglinton park, realised I’d left my water bottle in the kitchen...

Picked up a bottle of juice in Irvine, headed down to the harbour and pootled about there for a bit.

Back on the road to Gailes, past the paper mill, through Loans and turned into Troon near the Marr playing fields.
Stopped in Troon for a coffee - by this time the sun had come out and it was very pleasant.

Remembered I’d promised to fix a fence, but had put it off cos I had no nails - so ordered some online at Toolstation in Irvine.

Back along the path at the side of the golf course, then round the paper mill road towards Dreghorn, eventually ending up at Toolstation to collect the nails. Didn’t really fancy stuffing a 1kg bag of nails into the back pocket on my jacket - would have been sore if I came off! - but fortunately they fitted perfectly in the holder for my missing water bottle!
Back through Irvine town centre, dubbs road and home.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Nice one Bruce, I must be getting auld, I haven't even contemplated shorts yet, infact I'm still starting off in the mornings with full gloves, a fleece and a light waterproof. After about 20 miles the fleece goes in the bag and I switch to half gloves :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Any Cyclist Cat lovers out there?

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Not posted for a while but I've been doing loads of cycling. It's all been repetitive though, on Mondays and Wednesdays I've been going to either Ardrossan or Prestwick straight after work. On Saturdays it's either been largs or Alloway depending on what way the wind is blowing. May has been my best month ever for mileage, I've been out a total of 15 times and covered 504 miles, quite chuffed wae that.
Last edited by bonzo on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

well done.

My mileage is right down this year - I'm about 400 miles down on the same time last year. Mixture of weather, other commitments and a bit of cannae-be-bothered.

Got out for a wee trip up the coast to Wemyss Bay at the weekend, and I'm just back from a quick spin out to Stevenston point and ICI.

But I do have a longer adventure planned for next month. Watch this space....