Bayeskimo in Ardrossan Harbour, 1922

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Bayeskimo in Ardrossan Harbour, 1922

Post by sweet caroline »

Last edited by Hughie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated link
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Bayeskimo in Ardrossan Harbour, 1922

Post by abla43 »

Hi again, SC, Just tried to access the pic and BT don't do it no more which is a great pity, as I was wondering if is the same ship that I know as the "Baychimo" which became ice bound in an attempt to get to the North Pole or find the North-west passage and eventually got free from the ice over night while the crew (including my uncle Jimmy Ferguson) were sleeping in a makeshift camp on the ice. Apparently she drifted a way and became a "ghostship" and was seen periodically right up, I think, until sometime in the 1960's. Are we talking about the same ship? If so, can you think of anywhere else a pic may be obtained? Regards, A.B.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Abla43, I think there is a photo of that ship in "Old Ardrossan".
Could be wrong though.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Maybe this can help you decide. I couldn't get it in English but you'll probably be able to understand enough.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?58971
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

bobnetau, youv'e got me thinking (not easy!) and it may wel be yhay I read the story in Old Ardrossan rather a few years back. As I gsve my copy to a friend living in England I'll now have to replace it to check things out. Thank you, A.B.
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hayaha2004, Thanks for that. It seems to bear out the core of the story and at the same time debunk the "ghostship" bit That part of the tale came (I'm almost sure) from the Old Ardrossan bookalong with the North West Passage version. The bit about the crew camping on the ice may well be true, but I've no way of verifying it. Thanks again, A.B.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Here's a link with the photo you were looking for. Seems to be A. Bolton's new site.

http://www.aboltonswebsite.co.uk/

Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hahaya, Thank you so much for the link. Absolutely mind-boggling to find (A) that there were two sisterships with very, very similar names and (B) the Baychimo was an actual (recorded) ghost ship. The family connection through my uncle Jimmy Ferguson makes it so special for me. In the words of Billy Connolly "You've made a happy man very old"!!! Thanks again and best regards, A.B.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

:lol:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I wonder if the Fred Berchem mentioned was the Captain Berchem after whom Berchem Place in Saltcoats was named?
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Whilst on the subject of the `Bayeskimo` and the `Baychimo`. Where was the Hudson Bay Offices in Ardrossan?
i have in my possesion a copy of the Captain`s log from the `Baychimo` plus a manuscript of an unpublished book on the `Baychimo`s` last voyage and the subsequent searches for her by the University of Alaska.

Frank Brand
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

The Bayeskimo had another sister ship which visited Ardrossan. She was the BAYRUPERT. I believe she sunk after hitting ice around Prince Edward Islands in the North Artic area.

Frank Brand.