THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Post by meekan »

As I remember things. The Mecca cafe later became the Windsor cafe and then became Eugenes. There was a chip shop next to the Windsor cafe, I think it was run by Eugenes brother.
Alfie Augustinis cafe was across from the Continental cafe (Ezzes) and was called the Derby cafe. Further up Glasgow Street was the Central cafe and the Castle cafe, then up to the Plaza at the top of the street.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Talking about The Continental Cafe. Does anyone know what the bricked up building between what was The Eagle Cleaners and the cafe used for?

Frank Brand
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Frank,

I remember Martin McGinn's family lived across the road above old Alfie Ogastini's cafe and ice cream shop in the late 1940s before moving to Boydston Road. Martin once told me there was an army recruiting office there during the WW2. I'm wondering if he meant where the Eagle Cleaners was - across Princess Lane from the Deep Sea Restuarant.

I can't recall a shop front one up from the Eagle Cleaners in Glasgow Street in my time, so it might have been part of the premises eventually occupied by the Eagle Cleaners - just a guess. :roll:
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The sign above the door of that building said it had been the Danish Dairy Company, but the days of that were obviously long gone.

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The proprietor of the Continental cafe was Clavennito Ezzi according to a minor charge against her in 1947 at Kilmarnock Sheriff court. She like a couple of other local shop proprietors was charged with having accepting personal points coupons for confectionery before they were valid.

Kilmarnock Herald February 7, 1947.
Ezzi.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Re Ezzie: I see in minor court appearances she was listed as Mrs Clevenice Franketti or Ezzie and the Continental café was at 31 Glasgow Street. According to her she'd arrived in the UK in 1913 and was given citizenship in 1917.