Shell Long Service Awards

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
April 18, 1952

On Monday, 7th April, at the Eglinton Hotel, Ardrossan, long service emblems were presented by Mr E. LeQ. Herbert, General Manager of the "Shell" Refining and Marketing Company, London, to members of Ardrossan Refinery with over 25 years service. After dinner, Mr Herbert briefly explained the significance of the emblems, and pointed out the international character of the "Shell" family. The recipients of these emblems were: -
Over 40 years service - W. G. Taylor, S. T. Forrest.
Over 25 years service - Q. McCall, A. J.N. Shearer, J. W. Inglis, K.H. Wightman, H.H. Wright, W. P. Flinn.

On Wednesday, 9th instant, also at the Eglinton Hotel, those whose service ranged between 10 and 25 years, were entertained to a Cocktail Party and presented with their appropriate emblems by Mr R. W. J. Smith, representing Head Office Management of the "Shell" Refining and Marketing Company. The recipients of these emblems were:
Over 20 years service - W Auld, W. Anderson, W. Fisher, A. F. Maule, D. McKendrick, G. Aitken, S. A. Clarke, J. Harris, W. G. Orr, J. M. Scott, ? Wilson, A Barbour, J. S. Graham, W. H. Mckie, A. McClymont, E. B. Muir, A. Munro, J. Rodgers, R. F. Thomson, T. Jeffrey, J. Bond, M Prin, J. McLean, V. Knox. A. Hooker, A. A. Lee, W. McNelly, G. Lyon.

Over 15 years service - J McMillan, G. Duff, J. Allison. R. J. Laurie. R. McFarland, T. Y. Martin, P. R. Wylie, J. Cosgrove, D. McKerrell, W. Findlay, R. Neil, E. M. Ballantine, T. D. Conn.

Over 10 years service - Muir, A. McLennan, J. Hamilton, J. M. Brown, H. C. Francis, P. L. Martin, S. Ferguson, W. D. Mcskimming. J. Grant, F. Murphie, J. Sammons, W. Lennox, A. Townson, L. Sheridan, J. Gordon, R. Smith, H Welsh, W. Paterson. J. Millar, A. W Flinn, A. McDonald, H. Nell, G. Eddie, E. Háy. M. Loughran, J. McKelvie, D. Maciver, R. Cook. J. Connelly. W Louden, W. J. Morrison, Jas. Anderson, P. Abbott, John Anderson, D. Kilpatrick, P. Grents, W. Gunn, Miss M. Quinn, H. C. Anderson, Jas, Mckay, A. Pollock. Miss M. Costley, B. McInulty, A. White, A. Robb W. Ninian, A Walker, P. Hamilton, S, Phillips, J. K. Hutchinson, H. Lundie, T.B. Hunter, F. McKinnie, L. D. Muir, T. Alexander, D. Clow. C. Pringle, J. T. Stevenson, J. Boyle, J. Morton, Miss E. Black, J. Bates, W. McGivern, J McGoogan, J. C. Hutchinson, M. Reid, J. Blades, S. McKimmom, R.E. Telford, T. Forrest, H. Coyle. A McCallum, W. McLaughlan, J. Armstrong, D. King.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shell Long Service Awards

Post by Meg »

My dad, Jimmy Gordon was in the over 10 years service list - he went on to get the gold cocktail watch made by Garrards, the Queens Jeweller, for over 25 years service, finally retiring in 1972.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes I did notice your dad's name there, Meg. Also, I believe the Miss E. Black (I knew as Ella) mentioned in the over 10 years section could be the sister of your former neighbour, Lizzie (Black) Townsley. She was married to a tanker driver named Tommy ? he's in this photo second front row, first on the left.

Also the T. Jeffrey, in the 20 year section was the father of our friend Kate, who came to Australia with her family in the early 1950s. Her father came over to continue working with Shell. Kate was born in Glasgow Street, Ardrossan and was the district nurse here in our adopted retirement town before she herself retired.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:32 pm Yes I did notice your dad's name there, Meg. Also, I believe the Miss E. Black (I knew as Ella) mentioned in the over 10 years section could be the sister of your former neighbour, Lizzie (Black) Townsley. She was married to a tanker driver named Tommy ? he's in this photo second front row, first on the left.
Oh Hughie - that took me wandering back through the topic from 12 years ago - and that reminded me of a trainee in one of of my very early internet courses complaining that he sets out to find out something like the exchange rate for the Japanese yen and ends up reading all about the high tides in Honolulu😂. Anyway, I do remember Elsie’s Auntie Ella and Uncle Tommy. Was their name Black?

Edit

... no, just remembered Ella and Lizzie’s maiden name was black I think, Elsie’s grannie lived in Loanhead Road I think, and she was called Grannie Black.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Meg wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 am ... no, just remembered Ella and Lizzie’s maiden name was black I think, Elsie’s grannie lived in Loanhead Road I think, and she was called Grannie Black.

Yes, Grannie black lived in the three storied tenement at the bottom of Kirkhall Drive, that's now gone, and she did move down to Loanhead road. She used to make a big pot of soup for us in the Winter - it was a two person job for my brother and I to take it home. At that time Lizzie and Robbie and wee Elsie were sub-letting with us before Clyde Terrace was opened up - A wonderful soup maker.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Notice my Dad's name in the over 10 years category. He was with them a total of 17 years, latterly as foreman of the machinist's. Left in 1957
to come to Canada.
R.Cook
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hughie wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:32 pm Also the T. Jeffrey, in the 20 year section was the father of our friend Kate, who came to Australia with her family in the early 1950s. Her father came over to continue working with Shell. Kate was born in Glasgow Street, Ardrossan and was the district nurse here in our adopted retirement town before she herself retired.
Hugh the Jeffreys lived across the close from the Inglis’