Greasy Pole -Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Wee Shuggie
Settling In
Settling In

Greasy Pole -Ardrossan

Post by Wee Shuggie »

Does anybody remember the'Greasy Pole' that was situated on the North Shore more or less opposite the last house in Ardrossan.I can remember going there in the summer,at the weekend,and never found any grease.
If my memory serves me correctly George Fleming,his brothers Ian & Bobby and sister Molly their Mum and sometimes Dad used to go there too.A fire was lit and tea made,we boiled wilks and ate them using a bent pin.It was a favourite place for other families.Did anyone ever climb the 'greasy pole' when it was slippy with grease/fat?? & where/why did it get the name of 'Greasy Pole'.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

greasy pole

Post by jane »

On the grass foreshore is a tall wooden pole, "the Greasy Pole". The local coastguard practised life saving exercises using this pole. (Information from "The Ardrossan Trail")

I myself also used to climb this pole. I think I caught sight of one still being there when I was up in Ardrossan a couple of years ago.

There is also the big "Jumbo" rock further along the shore opposite the restaurant which was our favourite to climb.
jane
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: greasy pole

Post by Mitchy »

jane wrote:On the grass foreshore is a tall wooden pole, "the Greasy Pole". The local coastguard practised life saving exercises using this pole. (Information from "The Ardrossan Trail")

I myself also used to climb this pole. I think I caught sight of one still being there when I was up in Ardrossan a couple of years ago.

There is also the big "Jumbo" rock further along the shore opposite the restaurant which was our favourite to climb.
Hi Jane,

I can confirm the 'greasy pole' is still there. I think the large rock you refer to may be the one which often has religous messages painted on it. Many years ago the words 'Jesus Saves' were painted on it. Someone had painted below it, 'but Dalglish nets the rebound' !
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Greasy Pole -Ardrossan

Post by Sarah »

Hi wee Shuggie, I remember the pole well, some Sundays, my family
the" Milligans"all 7 kids, plus the Floods 8 kids, the Hamiltons, from Ailsa
Gdns. the Frews and the Denvers. we use to picnic there, it looked like the Sunday school picnic, they played football, rounders, etc etc, the thing that sticks in my mind the most , was my dad playing football
with his trousers rolled up and his long johns still hanging down..
Fun times Sarah
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Greasy Pole -Ardrossan

Post by georgeflemingard »

SarahMcAteer wrote:Hi wee Shuggie, I remember the pole well, some Sundays, my family
the" Milligans"all 7 kids, plus the Floods 8 kids, the Hamiltons, from Ailsa
Gdns. the Frews and the Denvers. we use to picnic there, it looked like the Sunday school picnic, they played football, rounders, etc etc, the thing that sticks in my mind the most , was my dad playing football
with his trousers rolled up and his long johns still hanging down..
Fun times Sarah
Hi Sarah, The greasy pole, now that brings back memories, of the picnics with the family, then later on our wee gang would go on our own,sometimes when cathering wulks we would find bags that the professional Wulk pickers had left behind{to be picked up later}and help ourselfs to a few pocket fulls and have a really good feed. there was also a wee burn run there, that came down from Montfode glen? we could catch wee trout in this burn{cant remember its name} and fry them over a fire on an old rusty piece of tin, along with some spuds pinched from the field across the road. But i have no idea what the Greasy pole originaly was or why i was there. it would be interesting to find out, i`ll try and do that when i am back in August all the best George
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi all,
here's some info on the greasy pole :D

http://ardrossan.members.beeb.net/Greasy%20Pole%201.htm

Take care.....Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi y'all
I seem to remember that "the pole" had blocks of wood attached to facilitate a easier climb.
or is that a trick of my imagination?
Jim.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Not a trick of your imagination Jim. It must be at least 45 years since I was l at the greasy pole and it did have blocks of wood attached in those days.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I've managed to find where this subject was brought up some five years ago when we were a mailing list. You'll find the topic as discussed at that time Here in our archives