Bequest of Hugh Wylie Auld - Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Bequest of Hugh Wylie Auld - Saltcoats

Post by Penny Tray »

It's funny sometimes how things come together.

On the 30th of October 2010, Georgersweir, in our 'Street Names' topic, contributed -

"The estate of Kirkhall, Ardrossan, has with the death of the late Laird Weir's sister, Mrs. Young, passed into the hands of of Captain Hugh Auld, Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats."

I remember thinking at the time, "Lucky Captain Auld."

Now, reading the Glasgow Herald issue of the 21st of January 1930, I see -

"The late Hugh Wylie Auld who resided at 20 Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats, a former member of Saltcoats Town Council and a Magistrate of the Burgh, has bequeathed his whole estate to the Town Council, and has nominated the Provost as his sole executor, provided that the Town Council pay two annuities of £85 each to beneficiaries named by Mr. Auld, and that they retain his pictures, etc., and build a gallery or museum.

At a meeting of the Town Council held last night it was agreed to accept the bequest subject to the conditions stated.

It is undestood that Mr. Auld possessed a large number of pictures, some of local interest."

Is anyone aware if these pictures were ever displayed and if they're still available for the public to view?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Bequest of Hugh Wylie Auld - Saltcoats

Post by gnyaff »

This post is particularly interesting as I'm wondering if Hugh Wylie Auld is related to my maternal grandmother.
My mother's mother was a Helen Auld whe died in 1932 and I know she had a brother James Auld who was still alive in 1933. I am now thinking that Hugh Auld could be related to James Auld.

Wee Boney
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Very interesting, PT. I suppose the terms of the bequest did get fulfilled eventually, up to a point; in that the town did have a museum ; though not started by the council, and not until a good many years after. And probably it was some of the pictures in question that were on display there. But there must have been an awful lot more of them than that, by the sounds of things, and where they all ended up may well be wondered. " Disappeared " perhaps, like this attractive Lavery picture remembered by Bob P ?

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 377#p95377

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
May 13, 1949
Saltcoats council notes

Donation.
Provost Shore intimated the receipt of one brass roasting jack, 2 powder horns and a pair of brass spurs as a gift from Mrs Mair, 16 Gladstone Road, for the Wylie Auld Museum, He expressed thanks to the donor and hoped that the museum would soon be housed.