Ardeer Miniature Railway.

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardeer Miniature Railway.

Post by little plum »

Morag, I was spoiled for choice, do I go coastal or inland.
Loved the rec area, the hedge at the bowling club was a regular destination for us boys, we were looking for birds nests, in our enthusiasm we most likely trampled on the speedwell. ( thon wee blue flooers :oops: that I know that ) A lot of the lads collected birds eggs, but that's a thing of the past. When you mentioned fencing classes it had me thinking about the resources that the rec had, and started working through the alphabet.

e.g. A - Athletics
B - Bowls, Billiards.
C - Cricket. You get my drift. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thought I'd add this informative video to this topic, it's from 2014.

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'm in debt to Nicholas Baxter for forwarding these images.
Hope these are useful. Looks very different from the images on your site showing the railway overgrown and derelict.Images came from a railwayman, who was a friend of my uncle - presumably based at Motherwell Engine Shed? No other information available, I am afraid.

Best wishes
Nick Baxter
Ardeer Model Engineering Section. Words copied from reverse of photos.
Image 1: G Rose run out of steam and water, waiting for boiler filling and steam. Ardeer Model Club Garden Fete.
Image 1.jpg

Image 2: Driving engine C (?) McBride Driver Motherwell
Image 2.jpg

Image 3: The man driving the engine, he built himself, is a Doctor. Sorry unable to mind his name.
Image 3.jpg

Image 4: Mech F/man Motherwell driving engine (G Rose). Man in light suit C McBride Driver Motherwell. Ardeer Model Eng Club layout
Image 4.jpg

Image 5: Driving engine H Pike Fitter Motherwell
Image 5.jpg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

I was down here with the dog and noticed there’s a strange little arch style building against the huge wall behind Hillcrest drive. It’s totally overgrown with trees but it appears to have a chimney. Anyone know what it is/was?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:58 am Could this be the one you mean?

https://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopi ... way+ardeer
The very one. Many thanks. I thought It seemed familiar but wasn’t sure where from. It’s almost impossible to see now.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

I remember the model railway when it was on the right hand side of the rec hill as you walk down , also all the wooded area where the houses are now , at the cross there was the cross cafe the Douglas pub Hanlons bike repair shop " I think it was Hanlons " the British relay TV shop , the bakers , oh and a paint shop , going down new street at the bottom end bus stop was the butcher then the rose and crown pub I think , I can also remember a post office being further down, just up from the old church ( now a house) next to Norrie Gaws yard.
Does anyone have any photos of these areas ??
I have just joined so haven't had a chance to look through everything yet.
So glad this is here as brings back so many great memories.
Thanks to all who contributed
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome, floydian slip. :hi: Looking forward to see some further posts from you.
ADDED: Just read your other posts, young Eddie. Had a lot of time for your dad and knew him even before I worked with him in Ardeer Foundry where we were both moulders in the early 1960s.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Thanks Hugie
Means a lot to me hearing that.
I like many others probably have on the board have fond memories flooding back from the " good old days lol.
I posted the link to my son Gareth yesterday and instead of working on whatever stuff he was supposed to be doing 🙄, spent the night trawling the site , living memories that he found .