Donnelly family and the Ardeer factory

For those researching family in the three towns area.
rnwebber
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Donnelly family and the Ardeer factory

Post by rnwebber »

I know that three (maybe four) of my great aunts -- Donnelly girls -- worked in the Ardeer factory from about 1914 until they emigrated to Canada in 1927. For my family history, I'm trying to find out exactly when they worked there, what they actually did, etc. I'm wondering if there are any employee records accessible anywhere. My paternal family comes from Devon and I know a great deal about them because many of them worked for the Great Western Railroad in Newton Abbot. The GWR employee records are all readily accessible. I'm hoping at least some of the Ardeer records have been preserved.

Reg Webber
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Donnelly family and the Ardeer factory

Post by Penny Tray »

I don't know about employee records but I was reading this compilation today and it contains some good photographs of 'women at work' in the Factory: -

http://orapweb.rcahms.gov.uk/wp/00/WP003895.pdf
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Donnelly family and the Ardeer factory

Post by Hughie »

rnwebber wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 pm I'm wondering if there are any employee records accessible anywhere.
I remember folks being asked to submit family names to the failed "Big Idea" Project and they were to be added to a database. Don't know what happened to the database - pity it wasn't taken over by some local authority and perhaps added to and maintained.
Forms for submitting family details are available from Irvine, Stevenston and Kilwinning libraries or from the Nobel Exhibition Trust, McGowan House, Lundholm Road, Stevenston, Ayrshire, KA20 3LJ; Telephone 01294 461999.
That's from the following page at GENUKI the UK and Ireland Genealogy site: https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/AYR/Stevenston/ardeer