Hunter Genealogy

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hunter Genealogy

Post by sweet caroline »

Welcome Drumclog1679,So what son of David are you from. Great ,we will soon have all the issue from David on Forum. For the others ,have you info taking them back further? I made a mistake with Robert Hunter mentioned in the Bourtreehill info. It never stated where he was from .

SC

Just found ,so have not been right through it yet.

http://www.oocities.org/mypickenfamily/hunter.html
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Reference:WO 97/1175/94
Description:
JOHN HUNTER( -c1777)
Born DUNDONALD, Ayrshire
Served in 76th Foot Regiment; Albany Staff; General Service; 19th Foot Regiment; 73rd Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 46
Date:
1802-1823
Held by:
The National Archives, Kew
Legal status:
Public Record
Language:
English

This record can be found in http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

Drumclog1679 wrote:
sweet caroline wrote:Just found a good tree .From main line .
David Gilmour Hunter

Birth 23 Oct 1783 in St Quivox, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death 14 Mar 1863 in Antis, Blair, Pennsylvania, USA

Father David Hunter ,Mother Ann Gilmour

Edit-Birth: 1783
Ayr, Scotland
Death: unknown

Burial:
Logan Valley Cemetery
Bellwood
Blair County
Pennsylvania, USA

Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]

Maintained by: S Henshey
Originally Created by: jbowers
Record added: Aug 18, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 29127001
He is my gr gr grandfathers brother
The Picken family tree which is on the web is to be taken with a pinch of salt. I have researched all the Kilmarnock Hunter's and they are in no way related.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I take it you looked at the Kilmarnock entries on the Picken tree in Scotlandspeople ,as at one time all BM in the district went through Kilmarnock ,as the main town in the area.

SC
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

sweet caroline wrote:I take it you looked at the Kilmarnock entries on the Picken tree in Scotlandspeople ,as at one time all BM in the district went through Kilmarnock ,as the main town in the area.

SC
The Picken tree was made in Australia by a fourth cousin of mine. They used the Mormon micro fiche which does not have anything near the info which is on the proper Parish records. I told the lady so myself. It is impossible to construct a family tree without all the info. Pure guess work. Somebody who does not live in the district has no idea of the geography of the farms or the trades of the people. As far as Kilmarnock being the main town, it certainly was a trading town, but so was Ayr and Irvine. All they Hunters around Loans, Barassie, Wallacefield and Leiths Miln according to the Parish records were involved in the local Milns or farms.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Drumclog1679 wrote:
sweet caroline wrote:I take it you looked at the Kilmarnock entries on the Picken tree in Scotlandspeople ,as at one time all BM in the district went through Kilmarnock ,as the main town in the area.

SC
The Picken tree was made in Australia by a fourth cousin of mine. They used the Mormon micro fiche which does not have anything near the info which is on the proper Parish records. I told the lady so myself. It is impossible to construct a family tree without all the info. Pure guess work. Somebody who does not live in the district has no idea of the geography of the farms or the trades of the people. As far as Kilmarnock being the main town, it certainly was a trading town, but so was Ayr and Irvine. All they Hunters around Loans, Barassie, Wallacefield and Leiths Miln according to the Parish records were involved in the local Milns or farms.
I disagree with your comment on the Mormon Fiche records,and pure guess work. My Husbands side was from Yorkshire, a county I had no knowledge of. That is were I started my tree. They have very good records ,including Dade Records . GENUKI
is very good at giving out info of county structures ,etc. In the 17th/18th century Roman Catholics in Yorkshire went into hiding .I went through all Parishes in East Yorkshire ,using online Hughwallis to find my Catholic ancesters. The spelling of the name was in most cases wrong. I was lucky enough to have a good friend in genesreunited who while visiting his Parents back home in Hull, visited the record center in Beverley ,and confirmed my marriages ,parentage as correct. I remember him saying "You can't claim all Salvidges in East Yorkshire censuses, as yours" but they are, too little of them to be anything less. I have also went back decades by using an unusual first name, later having it confirmed by a past Headmasters tree ,who lived in Goole ,who also went to Beverley record center. My only grievance is with the Rothwell Parish records. All Adamsons used the same Christian names for issue, When it came to marrage records ,trying to find whose Issue it is getting married is a bit of a hit and miss affair. I am not talking about my direct line ,but about their siblings,cousins,etc.

SC
Edit-1792.08.04Thomas Rhodan
ADAMSONbapt3rd son of Thomas & FrancesSelbyWatermanThos son of Saml Adamson of Woodlesforth, Rothwell Parish, Waterman by Ann his wife, dau of Thos Hanson of Woodlesforth, Waterman. Frances dau of John Burton of Selby, Butcher by Ann his wife, dau of Wm Aisdale of Selby, Ship Carpenter. Born 4th Aug

From Yorkshire P Records Society, first found in Mormon Fiche.
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

Top class research, and I respect you for that, however, I repeat the Mormon micro fiche records do not give all the info which you get from the originals. There was a lady from Kilmarnock who settled in Blair County, P.A. called Elizabeth Hunter from Kilmarnock. She left Kilmarnock when she was very young. She married a John Bell. In the history of the church she said three of her nephews arrived in Blair County in 1811. Her brother David's sons, David, James and Samuel. The problem was she never had a brother David. Her father Matthew Hunter came from Galston and set up business in Kilmarnock. He was married three times and never had any son called David. I think people may have read that article and been led astray. The Kilmarnock records are some of the best and each marriage and each child is numbered as in 1st wife, 3rd child and so on.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Sometimes that is all people have the choice of. I blame people who just add to their tree, and take it as read that the info is correct.

SC
Drumclog1679
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Drumclog1679 »

sweet caroline wrote:Sometimes that is all people have the choice of. I blame people who just add to their tree, and take it as read that the info is correct.

SC
I agree entirely
weir-dundonald
New Poster
New Poster

Post by weir-dundonald »

I found this thread searching for Weir, Highlees.
William Weir is also my 5th Great Grandfather.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I have a Robert Weir born Irvine 1792 Father William Weir ,Mother Ann Crighton. Married 1784 Dreghorn.

SC
weir-dundonald
New Poster
New Poster

Post by weir-dundonald »

William Weir m Elizabeth Steel (Dundonald)
son Archibald Weir 1755 m Mary Fairlie (Dundonald)
dau Agnes Weir 1799 m David Haire (Irvine)
dau Sarah Hair 1832 m Robert McKinlay

Jill (Oban)