PIECES ON ..........?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PIECES ON ..........?

Post by Meg »

Tomatoes are easy Brian. I usually grow Ailsa Craig - they tolerate the short growing season in Scotland and are fairly robust against blight. Didn’t grow anything this year in the greenhouse, and missing those tomatoes.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

My faither in law once told me he peed on his tomato plants as it was a great fertiliser for tomatoes......... I've never ate a home grown tomato since :surprised:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:31 pm My faither in law once told me he peed on his tomato plants as it was a great fertiliser for tomatoes......... I've never ate a home grown tomato since :surprised:
:lol: :lol: :lol: - need more seaweed for good tomatoes - must admit, Tomorite does me (and it’s easier)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Was mrs b old man not into animal dung bonzo.

Manure :P
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I don't think he would have managed a piece in it Brian :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I much prefer banana on toast, however a banana sandwich is alright if you are in a hurry with the toaster taking ages.

About once a week if i go to the post office or chemist i purchase some bread rolls from the bakers in the cluster of the shops. I seem to be extremely exicited looking at the delicious baquettes on offer, but at a few shillings short of a fiver .. i have sadly declined. But tempted if nobody found out.Guilty pleasures :
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Been reading a book based in Glasgow (wasnt great so won’t recommend) but someone had a piece on toast! Plain bread, buttered, and a slice of toast as the filling.

Not desperate to try this must admit.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

my father in law used to make us toast on the open coal fire, the blacker the better and served with Lurpak butter (not the spread you get nowadays).
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We toasted bread every night in front of the fire for supper. We had Scottish Pride butter though - Lurpak was a bit too exotic for us :lol: I still like my toast very well done.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meekan, Meg,

I found this on google

(During the 1950s Refrigerators started to become affordable for most households in the UK. In 1959 around 13% of homes had a refrigerator. By 1970 this was up to 58%. Today 97% of all homes have a refrigerator, and most shops, offices, hospitals use refrigerators and freezers)

So how did households store butter if you could not afford a luxury of a fridge?
In this present warm weather if i forgot to put the butter back in the fridge it would melt fairly quick. Btw- I also enjoy my toast well done!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We got our first fridge in 1972 - up til then butter, milk and cheese were always kept in the press near the back door (but I do remember butter being kept in a saucer of cold water). We went down the street for the messages every day so perishables were bought the day they were used and milk was delivered every morning. However I do remember sweaty cheese and runny butter :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

morag wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm Never did it 'back in the day' but I often have a hankering for a cheddar cheese, English mustard and sliced onion sandwich or cheese and Branston pickle sanny, :good: drool...away to raid the fridge! :lol:
as for peanut butter :x don't like the colour, taste, smell, texture....,hated making sandwiches for ma weans with it, my daughter loves the stuff. Typical!
I heard some chef say the other day French is much better than English mustard ???

Anyway quite similar to Morag- Cheese toasted with a sprinkle of Black pepper, Branston pickle and fresh cut Coriander.