Local Groups/Dance bands

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Local Groups/Dance bands

Post by little plum »

I noticed the topic " what famous people have visited" has diverged to local bands/groups and I thought it deserved it's own space. Over the years we have been entertained by local musicians in pubs, clubs and halls.
BOBBYDARG might elaborate on the " Kraze"(sp) of it's members, and the tragic accident of one of the band members
The Chase , the vocals well presented by Jim Slaven and on guitar John Pettigrew , The organist I'm sure was from Stevenston, he played a Hammond.
Pat Trayner (sp) who lived at the plantation, had an untimely death. Did he play with " The Delta Crux"
The Robertsons from Stevenston, I dont remember the band name , the family played drums and saxaphone.
I'm sure the members will add meat to the bones and bring back fond memories.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Local Groups/Dance bands

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, the Chase's organ player was Jimmy McWhinney, and wee Frank Robertson played drums for Sandy Hindmarsh and John Wilson,dont know if they had a name. Sam
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

What era are we talking about here?

Wee Boney
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

gnyaff wrote:What era are we talking about here?

Wee Boney
For me it was the mid to late 60's in Ardeer halls, the Thistle Club etc. I'm sure others would have been entertained by local musicians in various venues in their own era and area.

I never heard " The Clyde Valley Stompers". :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

A local band back in the early 50s was BROWNS MERRYMAKERS, My uncle Eddie Cowan and his Son Logan played in the band. Eddie on Double base and Logan on Trumpet, Anybody remember the far Back?
George
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Yes George I remember them
they played in the Castlecraigs
what a great band can you remember the
band that played in the Rec? was it
the same One? :)
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

These two links give some photos and notes about two local bands from the mid to late sixties. I saw them both locally or in Arran.

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/Pakk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/chase.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
David Young
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David Young »

I used to go dancing to the Clyde Valley Stompers at the Castle Craigs in Ardrossan. At the break the pianist used to play and sing operatic arias and neapolitan songs. He was very good.
David Young
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

does anyone know the names of the bands that used to play at The Rec back in the early seventies? There was one that used to sing Proud Mary......but I don't remember their name.......they were great though. Loved the show bands
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Sorry Maggie, I cant remember the band that played at the Rec. could have been BROWNS i`m not sure.
I do remember The Clyde Valey Stompers, with Ian Mazies on Trombone. {Castlecraigs}
Aker Bilk also played at the GRAIGS
There was another band used to visit the GRAIGE at that time. RICKY BARNS ALL STARS, From Glasgow. Wonder if he was any relation of Jimmy Barns?
George
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello was it Brown Merrymakers, that played in the Rec. I am talking of the 50/60s. Ellen.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

scottmccallumuk wrote:These two links give some photos and notes about two local bands from the mid to late sixties. I saw them both locally or in Arran.

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/Pakk.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rockingscots.co.uk/chase.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scott McCallum - Glasgow
I saw a band in Arran with Charlie Meenagh in it but I couldn't remember their name.
This was in the early sixties.
I also went to a dance in Lamlash town hall and the Kinks were playing that night.
There were loads of well known bands playing at Arran then, including the Yardbirds who had Eric Clapton,
Unit four plus 2, the four pennies etc, to name but a few.
Idiot - seeks village.