McGrattan family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
brimarge
New Poster
New Poster

McGrattan family

Post by brimarge »

:lol: My grandmother Mary McGrattan was born in Ardeer Square on 28/9/1883, her parents were Bernard and Marie (known as Minnie) nee Morrow, they both originated from Ireland, I have been unable to trace their deaths or place of burial, Marie last known to be staying with her daughter Mrs Jane (Jeanie) Nugent of Glengarnock in the early 1900's.

My grandmother who died in 1964 had the following brothers/sisters:
Patrick b1867 married Isobel McGilvery ?
Robert b 1872 married Margaret Nugent
Helen b 1873 married James McClure had one son John,Helen died in 1892 aged 20
John b 1876 don't know if he married
Bridget b 1877 married William Higgins, Bridget died in 1948 aged 71
Jane (Jeanie) b1879 married Martin Nugent, lived in Long Row, Glengarnock
Margaret b1881 married James Gilmour, I have met the youngest daughter of 8 children also Margaret, still alive in her late 80s
Mary b 1883 married Edward Sloan my grandparents
Bernard? have no info

Any information of these families would be of great interest
Thank you, Brian living Tillicoultry
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: McGrattan family

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Brian
You may already possess this data but here goes anyway. All data located on Ayrshire Roots website.

Gilmour NUGENT, son of Martin & Jane (McGrattan) NUGENT died probably very early November 1953 aged 39years.
Jane died 14 May 1951 probably at Kilbirnie.

James GILMOUR, husband of Margaret, died mid-January 1948 at Glengarnock at 73 years.

An Isabella McGRATTAN died at 17 Longbar Avenue, Glengarnock. An acknowledgement of her death was contained in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, 3rd October 1947 Edition. This would lead me to believe she died probably late September - very early October in a year prior to 1947.

Hope this helps with your research.

Jim McCreadie
Fremantle
Western Australia
brimarge
New Poster
New Poster

Post by brimarge »

Dear Jim

Thank you for your information. I have managed to contact a memeber of the McGrattan family through the treetowners web site and have been provided with 28 pages of detailed information. My contact has also offered to take me on a local walk-a-bout once we have more congenial weather in the spring.

The Threetowner website has been a great contact point

I was in Australia Feb/Mar in 2008 (east coast) and in Perth/Fremantle for 10 days in 2006, how we miss your sunshine

regards and thanks
Brian
brimarge
New Poster
New Poster

Post by brimarge »

Jim,

I forgot to mention that Gilmour Nugent was my mothers cousin, in fact my mother's middle name was Gilmour.

My mother always said that, " She had loads of cousins in Ayrshire" I can't believe that she actually knew HOW many there were. From the McGrattan information received I have counted 46 of which 11 died as infants and 35 reached adulthood, I have only ever met one.
My mother married a Sloan and researching that side of the family I have found another 14 cousins who lived in Ayrshire, one of whom I am in regular touch with.

So a total of 60 Ayrshie cousins (so far)

Brian
Murph

Post by Murph »

Brian, it is now 2011 & I wonder if you are still researching family history. My mother's family, the Reilly's lived in the 'Raiway cottages', a part of 'the Raws'. My uncle Jimmy was a bit of a historian & has passed down, among other things, a list of the people, & which part of 'the Raws' they lived in during the 1930s. The Nugents did indeed live in the 'Long Raw' & my uncle has put a notation ('shop') beside the name. The Gilmours lived further along the 'Long Raw' & the same notation 'shop' appears next to their name. I can only assume that being related they conducted a small enterprise together, probably unlicenced, as the Raws were the property of Colvilles Steelworks. Possibly the men worked at the Steelworks while the women ran a small shop. You may know more about that than I do.

In what was called 'the Front Raw' lived Martin McGratten, (my uncle's spelling).

I was born in Glegarnock in 1949 & my family lived at 10 Burnside St until moving to the Milton in Kilbirnie in 1953, (76 Stockbridge Cres). My father, mother & 6 sons emigrated to South Australia in 1960.

I remember going to school at St Bridgets with a Jim Gilmour, he would be in his 60s now.

John Murphy
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hi folks,

Hope this forum is still active?

My grandmother was Jane Nugent (married name - Dickie). She was born in 1902, the eldest child of Martin Nugent and Jane McGrattan.

Marie (known as Minnie) nee Morrow, mentioned in the first post, was referred to by her daughter Jane's family as Maria (pronounced 'Mariah').

I understand Jane (McGrattan) Nugent did indeed run a shop from her house in Long Row, as did her sister Maggie Gilmour. I can get more details. Colvilles must have turned a blind eye to it. Jane McGrattan's daughter (my Gran) subsequently established a (legit.) shop of her own in Kilbirnie Main Street in the late 1950s.

'Gilmour Nugent' referred to here was James Nugent, my gran's brother. Gilmour was his middle name. He died aged 39, as stated. He was a heavy smoker and died of a tumour in his upper airway. I understand he also had a learning disability.

It may be of interest to those who have posted here that I have set up an online archive of local photographs featuring many of the people mentioned here, as well as old photos of Glengarnock, etc. Most of the photos belonged to Bernard Nugent, my gran's brother, who was a teacher at St. Bridget's in Kilbirnie.
If you're interested, the main website is here:-

http://www.sb150.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the photos are here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerardboyle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My e-mail address is on the main website if you wish to get in touch with me.

Regards,
Gerard
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Gerard

I had a look at both websites you mentioned and they are a very useful resource for people interested in the history of Kilbirnie. It must have taken you a long tome to scan the photos. Well done and thank you.

George
bubblyblue
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bubblyblue »

Hi, I hope you may be able to help and don’t mind me joining this post, I am also researching the McGrattan’s from Adrossan although I think it is from a different branch from the one you have been discussing.
My Great Grandmother was Margaret McGrattan b Nov 8, 1890 Montgomary St, Adrossan I believe her siblings were:-
Mary b 1880 married Robert Dalglish
James b 1883 married Alice McManus
John b 1885
Patrick b 1887 married Jeanie Shaw
Catherine b 1888
Susan b 1892
Her Parents were James b abt 1858 Adrossan ? & Susanna McConville b 1857 Kilbirnie they were married in 1882 at St Mary’s Saltcoats. I can follow Susanna’s line back one more generation but I am stuck at James.
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
bubblyblue :-)
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

1901 Census
Name: Patrick McConvil
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Relationship: Father
Where born: Ireland
Registration number: 576/2
Registration district: New Ardrossan
Civil parish: Ardrossan
Town: Ardrossan
County: Ayrshire
Address: 66 Montgomerie Lane
ED: 1
Household schedule number: 123
Line: 13
Roll: CSSCT1901_215
Household Members: Name Age
Susan Mcgrattan 43
James Mcgrattan 17
Patrick Mcgrattan 14
Catherine Mcgrattan 12
Margaret Mcgrattan 10
John Mcgrattan 5
Patrick McConvil 64
Patrick Murphy 40

Death should be in Scotlandspeople.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: James McGratton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Susan McGratton
Civil parish: Ardrossan
Address: 124 Montgomerie Lane
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 2
Line: 5
Roll: CSSCT1891_196
James McGratton 35
Susan McGratton 31
Mary McGratton 11
James McGratton 7
Patrick McGratton 4
Kate McGratton 3
Maggie McGratton 5 Mos

Death certificate between those years should be in Scotlandspeople
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: Elizabeth McGrattan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relationship: Aunt
Civil parish: New Ardrossan
Address: 21 Paisley Street
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 61
Line: 1
Roll: cssct1881_178
James McGrattan 26 -c1855-Dock Labourer
Isabella McGrattan 17
Elizabeth McGrattan 48
Isabella McGrattan 20
Elizabeth J McGrattan 16

Does his marriage give his mother as Elizabeth?
there are 2 James McGrattan's from Ireland a year difference in age ,living in Ardrossan
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

bubblyblue wrote:My Great Grandmother was Margaret McGrattan b Nov 8, 1890 Montgomerie St, Ardrossan
Bubbly Blue

Because your great grandmother was Margaret McGrattan born in 1890, your great great great great grandmother was the oldest person to have died in Ardrossan. She was known as Granny McGrattan was featured in this post http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... tan#p97214.

In the late nineteenth century, there were three families of McGrattans living in Ardrossan. They all emigrated from County Down in Ireland, arriving in Ardrossan in the mid 1850s. They were all poor and some were illiterate. They lived near each other and worked as labourers in the harbour and on the railways. One member of one family is buried in another family's grave. These facts lead me to think that they might be related to each other but despite extensive research using archives in Ardrossan, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin and elsewhere, I cannot find documentary evidence.

I will send some of your family history details by private email.

George