The last day of Stanley school

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here's an early photo with Stanley School sent in by Bob Bryden and taken from the Cannon Hill.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Anne wrote:Re: Old Schools
I said in a long ago posting how I thought it was terrible that all the old Schools have beenn'destroyed' When you think of mine Higher Grade; and others like St John's Ardrossan Acc; St Michaels all knocked down for 'improvements' and have been replaced with horrible designs the mind boggles. Our sons and daughter went to Schools (old) which are National Monuments, yes I am sure they are not the warmest places in winter but the kids are proud of them and they are beautiful as was our. At the time we couldn't get out of them quick enough but now there is nothing to look back on. As Robert (bobbydarg) said in a posting about building more houses in Stevenston, 'that's just what they need' (sarcasm )it shows that the locals are never consulted much. Oh by the way 'GO SPRINGBOKS' added that we bit for the Aussies and NZ's I am sure they don't mind me basking in the glory ha! ha!
IT would appear that Winton School is the only survivor, well it was there two years ago? My Mother went to that School in 1920, I went to it in 1942, my son went to it in 1970 when we were back in Scotland for two tears, so is Winton the great survivor? George
Ardrossan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ardrossan »

Still standing -

Ardrossan Academy - http://www.s173884875.websitehome.co.uk/

and Winton Primary - http://www.s173884875.websitehome.co.uk/
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Well I was upset when Eglinton School went as it had a great outlook when you came up glasgow street I went ther for a few years also, when I came back and saw what they had done to the old school I was dismayed but it is the sign off the time's even here in Oz . What about Ardrossan academy I bet it is still there?
Maggie :shock:
David Young
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re Ardrossan Academy

Post by David Young »

Hi Maggie
Ardrossan Academy is still there. See the photo in photo album.
David.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Just back in Aus. from Ardrossan, still jetlagged.
Does anyone know what happened to the Dux Board that used to be in Eglinton School. It went to Stanley and can't find out where it has ended up.
There is a thought that it might have gone in the skip when Stanley was cleared.
I am chasing a photo of the board for a friend whose name is on it.
It's not at the Academy, Ardrossan History Library or Saltcoats museum, nor was it acquired by a local gentleman who took other items before the school was demolished.
Help appreciated.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

bobnetau wrote:I am chasing a photo of the board for a friend whose name is on it.
Sorry about the quality Netta - at least you can see what to look for. :roll:

It was sent to me about four years ago, at the time I seem to remember asking if anyone could take a better photo of it at Stanley School.

Welcome back to Oz.
:)
eddiegibb
Settling In
Settling In

Dux Board

Post by eddiegibb »

I fear that the Dux board which was on the wall in the assembly hall at Stanley may have been destroyed when the hall went up in flames just before the school was demolished. I am taking my daughter to the new Stanley school in the morning and if i have time i will ask what happened to the board.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Thanks, Eddie. But I don't think you will get very far as they put me on to the Academy, who put me on to the Ardrossan Library, who put me on to the History Library who put me on to someone else and no-one could tell me where it had ended up. But I will keep finger and toes crossed, you just never know.
Netta
eddiegibb
Settling In
Settling In

Dux Board

Post by eddiegibb »

I will make myself clearer, i believe that the Dux Board you are talking about Netta was in the assembly hall of the old Stanley school when it closed in July this year, i just have this fear that it has been destroyed either in the fire which ocurred after the school closed or thrown out by the demolishers. i did not get a chance to speak to the Headmaster at Stanley Mr Martin but will and get back to you.
eddiegibb
Settling In
Settling In

Photographs of Stanley Primary being demolished

Post by eddiegibb »

bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Thanks, Eddie.
I think you could be right but I don't know why no-one could say "It was destroyed in the fire". That I would have accepted but it was the run-around that really annoyed me.
I would appreciate any help you can find for me.
Netta