Split from - Wildlife in Stevenston

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

I watched a pair of house sparrows to-day both carrying nesting material. It seems unlike other birds they both build their nest. Kind of think they should hold back until the weather is milder. A carrion crow has almost completed his nest building . They have an advantage over many birds as their food supply is constant. The hours of daylight of course also impact on these folk.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Couple of doves in the garden, think they might have nested, and a wee tiny hummer, hear lots of birds though don't see them much, used to have loads :( One son has being some work out back, much needed, the birds just wait for his coffee break to get tore in!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Saw a pair of collared doves to-day and maybe they will try to nest. Woodpigeons have nested in the firs at the bottom of the garden for the past ten years. However they havn't come back this year but a pair of maggies are showing interest in their tree. Maggies are attractive birds but there are just too many of them. At home they are quite low nesting unlike rooks and carrion crows. I was lucky to have a holiday in China and the maggies there nest way up in the tallest trees to try and stop snakes getting their eggs. In the bird world crows are bright guys.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The house sparrows I wrote about are nesting in a hole under my neighbours rowan and I bet they don't about it . Birds are great most of them must have a homing instinct. I remember my neighbour's house where I lived before every year a pair of house martins would nest under the lentil of an upstairs window. The nest held together with their saliva. All those miles journeyed to return to where they had nested before and I think their young would have continued with this if their parents were lost . Sadly one year none of them came back.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Took a walk over to the scaup pond yesterday. The Canada geese have cleared off. But there were five scaup there two of whom were drakes who obviously had their wives with them. Hope the extra female finds a mate. There also were a pair of goldeneye duck who were busy diving for food. I 'd love to know what is living under that water. There is little insect life to be seen. The occasional cormorant turns up so I 'm thinking eels. The coots dive for underwater plant life and also graze on the golf course. They are looking great and I guess the water quality is good.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

A pair of collared doves were building their nest in the foliage of a creeper on the top of my wall and although I find their song annoying I would not have discouraged their endeavours. A carrion crow who has built nearby decided they are not welcome and has hunted them. The blackbirds will nest in my laurel but Jack crow will try his best to take their eggs. I know its nature but there are too many corvids.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The cold snap halted the carrion crows endeavours. However he is something else, I 've never seen such fury from a crow . A pair of woodpigeons were sitting on my neighbours trellis and he went nuts chased them and every bird he could see and gosh they all fled. He's a big strong powerful bird and although he is a menace you cannot help but admire him.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

To-day I note that someone is sitting on big Jake's nest. I guess his mate is egging. I don't know but I imagine they take turns at incubation. Maybe Jake takes over at ten in the morning and sits till four in the afternoon. Anyway I can't do anything about it. At least they can't get into my tit boxes.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Surprise surprise a pair of woodpigeons have arrived and are busy in courtship beside the fir tree where several broods over the last ten years have been produced. I'm not too hopeful of the outcome because big Jake the carrion crow is likely to steal their eggs. The blackies I do believe are nesting in the laurel and cock blackbirds unlike male woodpigeons are tough guys. If a cock blackbird was the same size as a woodpigeon big Jake would have some fight on his hands. And I expect the female blackie would be a very happy bird.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Its been such a cold start to the spring but yesterday I saw a peacock butterfly. It was not happy and I expect it did not survive long enough to meet a mate. They are so beautiful and such a delight. When I was a kid they were rare to see.The red admiral and tortoiseshell being the most common of the colourful people. In those days a lot of folk grew cabbages and the cabbage white was very common.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm beginning to feel affection for big Jake. To-day he was ripping buds from a wall plant but having a problem swallowing them. I know crows like cheese so maybe i'll leave some out for him. He's a fine looking chap and I think in his prime. There use to be a hooded crow or maybe a sport who use to hang about behind the Greystones. He always had several female carrion crows with him. I guess he had something the cock carrion crows didn't have.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm beginning to think big Jake is nuts. He has been chasing blackbirds to-day with a fervour. I wonder if he has ingested something that some junkie has spewed up because this is not normal behaviour for a crow.