Public & Kyleshill School Class Photo's

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Public & Kyleshill School Class Photo's

Post by Hughie »

I've added three class photo's to the "School Photo's" pages at threetowners.com. Many thanks to Joe Henderson in Edinburgh for forwarding them. This first one is Saltcoats Public circa 1961. If you can help with any unknown names it would be great.

Known names are: Dewar Montgomery, Peter Boyd, Jackie Whiteford, Andy Clinton, Raymond Cairns, Bryan Montgomery, Robbie Kingsman, Billy Kelly, James Craig, Eddie Dale, David Massie, Malcolm Lennon, Craig Moffat, Adrian Pllu, Chris Gibson, Joe Henderson, Agnes Park, Margaret McIntosh, Lillian McLelland, Elsie Local, Betty Graham, Jennifer Allen, Fiona Kane.

And on the Kyleshill page there are two new photos.
Malcolm Lennon, Billy Gilmour, Donald McQueen, William Boyd, Joe Bruce, James Lennox, Neil Shedden, Andy Morrison?, Joe Henderson, George Gault, Tommy Clark, Graig Moffat, Neil Mochan?, Miss Wilson, Elsie Boyd, Sheila Eddie, Margaret McClymont?, Elizabeth Pllu, Elizabeth Niven, Mary Dallas?, Myra Hamilton, Agnes McNeilly?, Alex Keyes, James Barbour, James Craig, David McKelvie?
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

School Photos

Post by gnyaff »

HI Hughie,

I've just looked at the Kyleshill 1954 photo which was taken at the James Reid School. Kyleshill School did not burn down until 1955 and the final three classes went to the James Reid. Those in the picture were about two years younger than me so they would not have gone there until around 1957. Billy Gilmour in the picture is a younger brother of Hugh Gilmour who was in my class and John Gilmour another brother was born in between them, my guess is it was probably taken in 1957 when the photos of the other classes were taken. I was in one of the others, and when I find where the wee wummin has hidden it I will have it posted.

Wee Boney

P.S. Billy Gilmour was tragically killed in a road accident near Carlisle in 1967. He was hitch hiking to Germany to see his beloved Rangers play in the European Cup Winners Cup Final. He was hit at night by a passing car. Not sure if it was hit and run.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello Hugh.
that photo of saltcoats public school 1961, my cousin
Lillian McLelland is in it she is in the second front .
Please thank the person for gaving it to the group.
Best Wishes. Ellen. :)
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Kylsehill photo - Miss Wilson's class

Post by calleytwo »

Wee Ali is back - ah'm no deid - jist feel like it! By coincidence last week when we were shifting 8 years of accumulation to put new floor coverings down I found my copy of the photo of Miss Wilson's class. Now as to who is who - the only one who leapt out was Jimmy Barbour, who was a best friend at school and I have a feeling is a second cousin? William Boyd is familiar but my memory after 50 odd years is faulty and my chief witness Mum, died 5 years ago this October. Which brings me to an even worse confession - I am not sure which one was me! I could have sworn the wee boy identified as Craig Moffat was actually one Alistair McAllister? Anyone know for sure? It's a terrible thing but I can only remember Miss Ness in the first class and Miss Wilson in the next. There must have been a third teacher at least before I came to Australia in May 1955 but I can't remember. By the way I think the photo may be 1953/54 as I would have been 5 and a half when I started having been born in October 1946 (so we know the first thing my dad did when he was demobbed!) If its not me tell me who I am? Signed confused, alias Wee Ali, alias the last of the McAllisters (not counting ma wee girl).
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Wee Ali, I wondered where you'd been hiding. We were over in Adelaide for a few days last month. Anyway here's the photo, is that you in the middle? I've tried to enhance it.
weeali.jpg
weeali.jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Thanks Hughie. I am pretty sure that is me in the middle. I compared the photo with my brother John's 1949 Public School photo and can see the resemblence. The tie is also a give-away - I always hated ties and as a public servant here in South Australia had to wear one but soon as one of our local Premiers stopped wearing them in Parliament in the early 1970's mine came off and stayed off, except for special occasions. Nice to be back on the Board. Jings they aerial photies is magic! Wee Ali :P
isabel p
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Kylsehill photo - Miss Wilson's class

Post by isabel p »

calleytwo wrote:Wee Ali is back - ah'm no deid - jist feel like it! By coincidence last week when we were shifting 8 years of accumulation to put new floor coverings down I found my copy of the photo of Miss Wilson's class. Now as to who is who - the only one who leapt out was Jimmy Barbour, who was a best friend at school and I have a feeling is a second cousin? William Boyd is familiar but my memory after 50 odd years is faulty and my chief witness Mum, died 5 years ago this October. Which brings me to an even worse confession - I am not sure which one was me! I could have sworn the wee boy identified as Craig Moffat was actually one Alistair McAllister? Anyone know for sure? It's a terrible thing but I can only remember Miss Ness in the first class and Miss Wilson in the next. There must have been a third teacher at least before I came to Australia in May 1955 but I can't remember. By the way I think the photo may be 1953/54 as I would have been 5 and a half when I started having been born in October 1946 (so we know the first thing my dad did when he was demobbed!) If its not me tell me who I am? Signed confused, alias Wee Ali, alias the last of the McAllisters (not counting ma wee girl).
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Public & Kyleshill School Class Photo's

Post by Hughie »

Isabel, You're going to have to tell us a wee bit about your relationship with Wee Ali. Maybe we can tempt him oot of retirement. :wink:
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Whit put ye up tae that question Hughie? Isobel was the wee girl upstairs and being the interesting and energetic girl I bet she always was I had a bit of an 8 year old crush on her. I think I thought of her as mah first wee girlfriend. By sheer coincidence I was up at my brother's recently and found some old photos of mine from a pile my late mother left. Here is one taken out the back of Victoria road. Seated at the front from left to right was Wee Ali, I think Isobel, not sure of the next, Stewart Robinson (my best friend). At the back Billy McVey and I think Isobel's wee brother in the pram. Wee Ali
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

That Stewart looks like trouble aboot tae happen! lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Funny ye should say that but we did seem to get into a wee bit of harmless trouble in each other's company as boys will and usually at Stewarts suggestion! Often wonder what happened to him - he shifted up to the Mayfield housing scheme shortly before I left for Australia in 1955, we exchanged one lot of Christmas cards and then never heard from him. Wee Ali
isabel p
Settling In
Settling In

Post by isabel p »

calleytwo wrote:Whit put ye up tae that question Hughie? Isobel was the wee girl upstairs and being the interesting and energetic girl I bet she always was I had a bit of an 8 year old crush on her. I think I thought of her as mah first wee girlfriend. By sheer coincidence I was up at my brother's recently and found some old photos of mine from a pile my late mother left. Here is one taken out the back of Victoria road. Seated at the front from left to right was Wee Ali, I think Isobel, not sure of the next, Stewart Robinson (my best friend). At the back Billy McVey and I think Isobel's wee brother in the pram. Wee Ali