New Tabs Problem.

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Richard

New Tabs Problem.

Post by Richard »

Is anyone else experiencing the following, and if so, any suggestions on how to remedy the problem ?
Over the past 2-3 days my lap-top has developed a mind of it's own.
When I click on any link it opens up in a new tab, rather than the one I'm on.
If I am compiling a post, it will also jump to the URL bar from time to time and I can't complete the post.
I have had to shut everything down & start up again when this happens.
These new tabs also open up when I try to return to the Index board, leaving me to close down the one I'm on
and return to the Index board in stages, one tab at a time.
Strange & frustrating.
:?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: New Tabs Problem.

Post by morag »

I had probs Richard now thankfully resolved. Strangely my kindle was ok it was just my laptop..I even bothered oor Hughie..sorry Hughie..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Richard wrote:If I am compiling a post, it will also jump to the URL bar from time to time and I can't complete the post.
Don't know about the first problem you mention, Richard, but the problem I've quoted seems to point to a problem with your mouse or touch pad. George wrote to help in a similar problem in this post.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Morag:
Interesting to note you said your Kindle was ok, but your laptop wasn't.
Although I am not involved with this particular site, other than reading the comments threads,
I have noticed people on the Daily Record Sports threads saying something similar, that their
phones & tablets etc etc are ok, with no problems, but same can't be said for their computers ?
They seem to be having a wide range of problems, from logging on to compiling post's etc.
But as I said, I don't participate on that site so I don't think my problems stem from there, even though
I haven't noticed anyone saying the same on the other sports threads for the Herald & Scotsman etc etc.
It has taken me all day, on & off, to respond to you & Hughie. I have only managed to achieve this by
typing what I can, before it all freezes, then saving it to draft and coming back to it later.
Talk about time consuming and frustrating. I'm very close to launching this lap-top right oot the windae.
:evil:
Hughie:
As you can see, the problems have got worse. But I will get to the bottom of it.
Yes, I'm aware of George's advice to Jimmy. I remember Jimmy's original post, to which I responded,
because I was having a similar problem at that time, but I just put it down to being heavy-handed with
the keys and I never use a mouse. These problems are different though ? There seems to be several
things going wrong all at the same time. I'm going to start going through a process of elimination,
as George advised Jimmy, but first of all I will try to use a different computer, to determine if the
problems are with this one. I tried to Google some solutions, but I wasn't very sure of the advice that
was being given ? Nobody seemed to be 100% certain of what the cause could be and sometimes gave
completely different solutions ? One even mentioned something about 'Spy-ware' programmes and how
they were free ? Don't know, It's all double-dutch to me ?
:?
NOTE: When I logged in tonight, I thought I would give this post another try.
As soon as I loaded my draft and was set to continue, the print size on the screen shrunk. Don't know how ?
Rather than enlarge it again, I continued compiling this post and as you can see, everything seems to
be o.k. ? So far.
Last edited by Richard on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Don't ye just love computers? x
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

What browser are you using Richard and does it only happen with this site? If you are using IE maybe try Firefox to see if the problem persists.

Meg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Meg:
Chrome.
I have only experienced it on the 3T's, but then again, I don't post on any other site so I can't really use that as
any kind of guide ? Everything still seems to be o.k. this morning . So far - so good.
Thank's for that suggestion. I will keep it in mind if the problems start again.
Everything has went back to normal, since the print size shrunk, without me actually touching anything.
:smt102
Witterquick
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Witterquick »

Print size (well, tbh I'm thinking page zoom) can sometimes be accidentally shrunk/enlarged if you happen to tap the ctrl key while using the mouse wheel - if using a touch pad accidentally brushing the right hand side of the touch pad while holding ctrl can also zoom the page.

Richard, do you have the google toolbox extension installed in Chrome?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Witts:
No.
Why do you ask ?
Witterquick
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Witterquick »

Apparently that can cause links to appear in new tabs, and also allows you to disable them opening in new tabs too - might be worth a try?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Cheers for that.
:hi: