Mayfield Primary Saltcoats

Post by tuc »

Any pics of this school i started it in 1971 when it opened
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mayfield Primary Saltcoats

Post by boots1 »

What teachers where at Matfiled when you were there.

Class teachers from p1 - p7 your own and other staff members.

and what about head teacher assistant head and deputy head teacher
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

here goes excuse the spelling There were 2 classes for each year i think

Head Teacher Mr Campbell
Deputy Mrs Heron

AUXILERIES Mrs webster and Mrs Barnet

P1/2 Mrs Awell 1971
P2/2 Mrs Awell 1972
P3/2 mrs craig 1973
P4/2 Mrs Hope 1974
P5/2 Mrs Edmonds 1975
P6/2 Mr Richardson 1976
P7/2 Mrs Smith 1977
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I hope,tuc, you weren't one of the unlucky children who found themselves without chairs on the opening day at Mayfield :
phpWg9X51AM.jpg
This group look a little bit old to include you if you were starting as a Primary 1. But according to the reports in the A&S Herald, most of the pupils had to sit on the floor when school started. There were several new schools opening at the same time, and Mayfield seems to have ended up last in the queue for delivery of desks and chairs, with not enough turning up in time.

The headmaster Mr John Campbell wasn't best pleased about it:

" The position we are in is pathetic...I have been forced to borrow chairs from the North Parish Church and from Kyleshill and Argyle Schools, and even with that the majority of my pupils are without seating. I am forced to send them home every day at lunchtime. "

He also took the opportunity to criticise a few other matters , such as the design of the school; " In my opinion the architects have made a mistake in having three separate buildings...staff and pupils have to cross an open windy playground to get to the central building with no shelter from the elements at all".

And the state of the playground and playing-fields,which hadn't been completed : " I am very angry...the playing fields are a quagmire and we will be lucky if we can use them two years from now .
I'm afraid I am very disappointed with this school. "

Looks like Mayfield School had a bit of a rocky start. All this comes from a large article on the opening of all the new schools, and I'll post a bit more on some of the others sometime.

I've also found a photo showing Mr Campbell, at his leaving presentation from Kyleshill, where he taught previously.
php4TaQK5AM.jpg
Susan
Last edited by down south on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

WOW im in that picture left hand side keeking over the table that pic was in the front of the hearld dated 3rd sept 1971 i have the original.. paper price was 2 1/2 p also says 300 children left without chairs

cheers for posting

see if you can find me in another hearld pic that i have a clipping from same paper friday 8th june 1973
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Susan, as usual, a great fount of information! Keep digging them up girl! :D
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
heatherks
New Poster
New Poster

Post by heatherks »

only ones i can remeber ar e

mr campbell head teacher and his wife mrs campbell
mrs Heron ... used to take us for reading during p1-3
mrs smith
miss chalmers
miss miller
miss edmonds
mr richardson
mrs craig
miss/ mrs alwell

they had two classes in each yr

and mrs Dykes ...she worked in the office but also taught country dancing ... left years later to to work at st andrew academy

mrs barnet auxillary she was the saltcoats provest's wife at the time
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here's another picture from Mayfield, showing the retirement of Miss Beatrice Reid as deputy head teacher in June 1974; the same lady as was in the picture above. She had taught in Saltcoats schools for 38 years. most of the time at Kyleshill before transferring to Mayfield.
Miss Reid at Mayfield 1974.jpg
Also in the picture are, again, Mr John Campbell the head teacher; and I would guess the other lady is Miss May Heron, described as deputy head in charge of infants, who presented Miss Reid with the framed picture on behalf of the staff. The youngsters are Karen Walker, who presented a clock from the pupils , and Jennifer Allan with the bouquet.

Susan
Cassidybabe
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Cassidybabe »

I have been on this site off and on and I've just found this picture of my dear dad 😊 who passed away in 2003 and who I miss terribly, I have a copy of it also. I went to Kyleshill and remember it with fondness, I remember my teachers, Miss Millar and Mrs Smith and I also remember Miss Reid and Mr Campbell. I then went on to Ardrossan Academy. Thank you everyone for all the very interesting stories and pictures.
Lesley Boyle (Shaw)
Bobby61
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bobby61 »

HI, I went to Mayfield and remember Mr Campbell the headmaster and Mrs Chalmers she was a pretty good teacher.
Bobby61
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Mayfield Primary Saltcoats I'm the one in the front row of the pic looking at the camera

Post by Bobby61 »

:shock:
down south wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:28 pm I hope,tuc, you weren't one of the unlucky children who found themselves without chairs on the opening day at Mayfield :

phpWg9X51AM.jpg

This group look a little bit old to include you if you were starting as a Primary 1. But according to the reports in the A&S Herald, most of the pupils had to sit on the floor when school started. There were several new schools opening at the same time, and Mayfield seems to have ended up last in the queue for delivery of desks and chairs, with not enough turning up in time.

The headmaster Mr John Campbell wasn't best pleased about it:

" The position we are in is pathetic...I have been forced to borrow chairs from the North Parish Church and from Kyleshill and Argyle Schools, and even with that the majority of my pupils are without seating. I am forced to send them home every day at lunchtime. "

He also took the opportunity to criticise a few other matters , such as the design of the school; " In my opinion the architects have made a mistake in having three separate buildings...staff and pupils have to cross an open windy playground to get to the central building with no shelter from the elements at all".

And the state of the playground and playing-fields,which hadn't been completed : " I am very angry...the playing fields are a quagmire and we will be lucky if we can use them two years from now .
I'm afraid I am very disappointed with this school. "

Looks like Mayfield School had a bit of a rocky start. All this comes from a large article on the opening of all the new schools, and I'll post a bit more on some of the others sometime.

I've also found a photo showing Mr Campbell, at his leaving presentation from Kyleshill, where he taught previously.

php4TaQK5AM.jpg

Susan
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

I started school on the first day and no chairs, have a picture of me on the floor the day it opened