Black Swan

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Black Swan

Post by Penny Tray »

I mentioned the possibility of a Black Swan appearing on the upper reaches of the River Clyde the other day. I came across him today on my morning stroll. A whale on Thursday, a black swan on Monday - who says The Clyde is deid?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Black Swan

Post by Meg »

Wonder if he takes a wee stroll doon to Ayr PT - I have seen one on the river Ayr a few times. Aren't they lovely!

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

He was stunning. My phone camera doesn't do him justice. He seems to have been accepted by the other swans now. It seems when he arrived, probably last Wednesday, he was getting chased all over the place.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Although I have never seen a flying Black Swan, they are unusual since they have white feathers that are only visible in flight.

I'm still saving up for a signature.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Tremendous picture George. If he's still there tomorrow I'll shout BOO or something and snap his photo on take-off :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote:Tremendous picture George. If he's still there tomorrow I'll shout BOO or something and snap his photo on take-off :lol:
... are we still talking about a black swan?????

Fantastic pictures though from both PT and George.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

While on holiday in Canada in a town called Stratford, on the river Avon, i took this picture, there were loads of black swans there.

be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Saw this piece in the paper today about black swans :

Two cygnets of a Black Swan, which are normally born in Australia in October, have been hatched at Slimbridge Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust centre in Gloucestershire due to the mild autumn. The centre's aviculture warden said the new family should survive the British winter as the cygnets,born on October 15th, were putting on weight quickly.

Black swans, Cygnus Astratus, were first described by the English naturalist John Latham in 1790. Britain does not have a sustainable population of the species. A survey in 2001 found only nine breeding pairs in the country.

Susan