What would you name your house?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

What would you name your house?

Post by Hughie »

My aunt Annie McCallum (used to sing in the Douglas) lived in McKillop Place in Saltcoats - sat at the window and waved to everyone as she aged. She named her house "Muffin Cottage".

If you were naming your house what would you name it? It doesn't have to be, but would you consider using a name from the three towns. Something like: Boglemart Mansion, Saltpan Villa or even Kilmashuckie House. I've often thought of naming ours but can't think of the right name ... any ideas?
:think:
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What would you name your house?

Post by Sarah »

hewmac wrote:My aunt Annie McCallum (used to sing in the Douglas) lived in McKillop Place in Saltcoats - sat at the window and waved to everyone as she aged. She named her house "Muffin Cottage".
Hi Hughie, there is a house in my daughter's street, called ARDROSSAN, never seen it till they pulled down the fence,
popped into to see the owner, she said it belonged to her husbands parents, who had a farm here in Victoria,
she was not very forth coming, about names or anything like that, so I felt like Id better go, felt a bit stupid
standing there. It was such a surprise walking passed the house and seeing the name .. Sarah
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby has always said he would call our house "Kirkhall" if he had to choose a name.
But that doesn't relate to me, I would choose "Cumbrae", needless to say our home is nameless. Open to suggestions.
Phyl.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Phyl. »

Our house has a name on it which we had specially made for when we lived high on a hill overlooking Wilsons Prom........

For the 9 years we lived in Loch Sport it stayed in the garage as we were not on a hill.............Sad.

Now we are here and again on, if not a hill, a good rise, so our sign lives again. Our surname is Cripps :)

>>>> Cripps - Onthehill <<<<

Phyl.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

Ah suppose ah wid caw ma hoose "Rowansides Midden",but cos ah live in the posh side of Urdrussan it would need to be "Rowansides Midding" :D :D (dont read to much into that comment ,the rest oh the toon is fine and prospering.Am just slightly oot the main drag up here in Rowanside.)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

As a Stinsonian, born and bred, I'd call my house 'Nineveh'...
The late and wonderful Peter Bird first introduced me to that term in relation to Stevenston... :wink:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

My house is called 87. :wink:
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Catherine Belle wrote:As a Stinsonian, born and bred, I'd call my house 'Nineveh'...
The late and wonderful Peter Bird first introduced me to that term in relation to Stevenston... :wink:
Catherine, I took a nice photo of Peter's grave last year. Think I sent it to you. Yes, a real gentleman though I never did get to meet him.

Now this "Nineveh" thingie ... If you do a search from http://www.threetowners.com you'll see my uncle Joe Cunningham from the next street to Rowanside was said to use that word for Stevenston. Here's the paragraph from "In a Marmalade Saloon" by Patrick O'Connor.
That's it. The game's a bogey. They all start hanging up the cues, Joe pockets the money and heads for Ardeer and beer and no stars for yours truly. But Joe is good with his money and gives me ninepence for myself because he has won three pools, saying he was away to Nineveh. That's his name for Stevenston, that den of iniquity, heh-heh. Joe's a right tear when he starts, he would cod the breeks of a heelanman. He's the one who first made the immortal wisecrack - Many are cauld but few are frozen, one day during a hard winter when there was no coal to light the fire in the den.

The Den was the famous billard Hall in Kilmahew Street where all wee Ardrossan boys like yours truly learned about secret men's business. :shock: :wink:
arrangazer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by arrangazer »

This is such a great idea as I moved into our new home 7 years ago also its still a number, our last home of 30 years was already named by the previous owner , we just loved the name so it remained the same, but we cant decide on a name for our Wiltshire home.
However as I write this I remember that our last home had a Cornish name and being we are now living in the country of the moonrakers perhaps thats the way to go. The threetowners certainly get the school of thought going. :lol: :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

BOBBYDARG wrote:My house is called 87. :wink:
Hey Robert, Change it to Eighty-Seven. 8)
Hughie
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

hewmac wrote:
Catherine, I took a nice photo of Peter's grave last year. Think I sent it to you. ...
No, you didn't. :?
Hughie wrote:Now this "Nineveh" thingie ... If you do a search from http://www.threetowners.com you'll see my uncle Joe Cunningham from the next street to Rowanside was said to use that word for Stevenston. Here's the paragraph from "In a Marmalade Saloon" by Patrick O'Connor.
That's it. The game's a bogey. They all start hanging up the cues, Joe pockets the money and heads for Ardeer and beer and no stars for yours truly. But Joe is good with his money and gives me ninepence for myself because he has won three pools, saying he was away to Nineveh. That's his name for Stevenston, that den of iniquity, heh-heh. Joe's a right tear when he starts, he would cod the breeks of a heelanman. He's the one who first made the immortal wisecrack - Many are cauld but few are frozen, one day during a hard winter when there was no coal to light the fire in the den.

"den of iniquity" eh? heheheh.. maybe I should reconsider?

Nope. Nineveh it is! 8)

Hughie wrote:The Den was the famous billard Hall in Kilmahew Street where all wee Ardrossan boys like yours truly learned about secret men's business. :shock: :wink:
I think we should be telt.. :twisted:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

Hi Isobel,
always loved the name you had for your house in Corwall......."Pengarth".....is that Gaelic? I seem to remember that it meant "Our Home" am I right?
Betty