Aerial Views of Mt. Ruapehu, N.Z.

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Aerial Views of Mt. Ruapehu, N.Z.

Post by Bob Bryden »

Following on the recent mention of an eruption of Mt. Ruapehu in these pages here's a few aerial shots I took of the summit & the Crater Lake from an Air New Zealand Fokker Friendship en route from Wanganui to Auckland a few years ago.

Bob
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Awesome, Bob!
What's "an Air New Zealand Fokker Friendship"? Was it a private or commercial flight you were on? (hope that's not a stupid question) :oops:
The pictures are startlingly clear!
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Aerial views of New Zealand

Post by Bob Bryden »

Hi Catherine,
Air New Zealand is New Zealand's national airline just like British Airways & Air Canada. The Fokker Friendship was at the time the mainstay of Air New Zealand's domestic fleet but they were replaced several years ago. Here's a picture of the one I took the pictures from whilst it was stopped at Whakatane en route to Auckland from Wanganui. I was travelling up to Whangarei, some distance north of Auckland for a job interview at my employer's expense. At the time I was a public or state servant working for one of N.Z.'s govt. dept.'s.

I'm also uploading a few pictures I took on the same trip, of Auckland on the return flight from Whangarei as we started the landing approach to Auckland International Airport.

Bob
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Mt Ruapehu

Post by Bob Bryden »

Just a footnote to earlier posts on this subject - over the years it has been possible on occasion to go for a swim in the Crater Lake shown on these photos. I've never tried it & I don't think it would be advisable these days otherwise you may well finish up extremely overdone rather than just "half-baked" :roll:
Bob