1821247 Sgt William Dickie RAF lost 20 December 1943

For those researching family in the three towns area.
KeithGould
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

1821247 Sgt William Dickie RAF lost 20 December 1943

Post by KeithGould »

Good morning. I hope the group does not mind me posting this query. I am a researcher for the No. 576 Squadron Memorial Group. 576 Squadron was part of Bomber Command during WW2. Our group seeks to commemorate all those who served with 576. Almost all of our members are descendants of aircrew who flew with the squadron. We have a website and a FB group.

1821247 Sgt William Dickie was a flight engineer in Lancaster W4123, 576 Sqn when he and the rest of the crew were lost over Frankfurt on 20 December 1943.

Sgt William Dickie is commemorated (as with the rest of the crew) on the Commonwealth War Grave Commission (CWGC) website. His record there shows no personal information such as names of parents, wife, age, place of origin or age. His service number, though, indicates that he enlisted in Edinburgh at some point from November 1943 onwards. That helped to narrow down the search. A 'William Dickie' RAF is shown on a gravestone in the Stevenston, Hawkhill Cemetery 2, Ayrshire as lost in action 20 December 1943 so this must be ‘our’ 576 Sqn man. From the inscription it shows his parents as William Dickie and Ilmo Margaret Alexander, his age 18 and his sister Margaret Grant McKelvie (née Dickie).
William attended Ardrossan Academy, Saltcoats and is also commemorated here:
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmems ... c5772.html

His sister Margaret McKelvie passed away in 2008 and her death was registered in Saltcoats.

I wonder if there might be any descendants in Threetowns who could offer further information or are interested in our group.

I also support the International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln in its work of recognition, remembrance and reconciliation. William is commemorated thus:
https://losses.internationalbcc.co.uk/loss/106167/
He is one of many aircrew for whom there currently is no photograph.

Any information about William would be most welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Keith.576sqn@gmail.com