Looking for Smith Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Looking for Smith Family

Post by tsmith »

I am researching my family tree and have traced my family to Stevenston. They consist of James & Roseann Smith with children Roseann, Julia, Patrick, Michael and James. James came to Australia when he was very young (we are still working this out) we are not sure what happened to Roseann, Julia died when she was 7, Patrick (22 Moorpark Road East) and his parents (James 43 Boglemart Street) all died in Stevenston and we only have census records of Michael. ALso Patrick's death informant was his newphew J Smith who lived at 22 Rowanside Terrace Ardossan. Any help would very much be appreciated. - thank you Tracie
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Tracie,
Welcome to threetowners :)
You haven't given any dates. But the following might be helpful:

Go to ASH, see This Post it'll tell you how to get to the entries in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald. Then go to the 1930-1959 section and just enter the name Patrick Smith.

He appears to be mentioned twice there. Once for his death in 1956 and the following year the family inserted a remembrance - Moorpark Road East is mentioned. While you are there you might have a look for the rest of the family.

Also the J Smith nephew at 19 Rowanside Terrace could be the son of George Smith who worked with me in Winton foundry in 1958. George died that year and he lived in Rowanside Terrace I recall. ASH confirms he lived at number 22.

Good luck!
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Looking for Smith Family

Post by tsmith »

Thank you Hughie for the help - you are right dates would help.

Father - Patrick Smith Born approx 1866 Leeds England Died 20.9.32
Mother - Roseann Smith (nee Murphy) Born approx 1867 Died 5.8.02
Daughter - Roseann born 29.11.1889 - appears in 1891 census and no record of her in the 1901 census
Daughter - Julia born 22.1.1891 died 16.12.1898
Son - Patrick Born 6.3.1883 Died 3.12.56
Son - Michael - Born 1895 no details just records of him in census
Son - James Born 8 April 1896 Died 3.10.64 in Victoria Australia

Thank you for the link to Aryshire Roots I was able to confirm that is my great unlce Patrick. With regards to his newphew J Smith at 22 Rowanside Terrace - that is all the information I have on him - so I can't confirm whether his Dad was George - do you remember his wife's name.

I appreciate your help - every little thing helps.

Thank you again

Tracie
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Looking for Smith Family

Post by Hughie »

tsmith wrote:I can't confirm whether his Dad was George - do you remember his wife's name.
No, I didn't know his wife, but according to ASH the George Smith who lived at 19 Rowanside Terrace was married to Margaret Tymms.

Hope this helps.
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tsmith »

Pitty George is not alive otherwise he could tell me about his neighbour in No. 22 with the same surname...... the search continues.

thanks for your help.

Tracie
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tsmith »

Just an update - I wrote to the resident at 22 Rowanside Terrace, Ardrossan and are very happy to report that I had a reply. She noted that a Smith Family had indeed lived there 20 years ago and the daughter of the Mick Smith who had lived there in fact lives at 4 Rowanside Terrace - Helen Carson. She has passed my letter onto Helen so I am awaiting her reply.
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tsmith »

It is with great pleasure I announce I have found my Scottish Family are we are now in regular email contact. For all of you who haven't hang in there because sometimes you get a lucky break. thanks Tracie
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Great news Tracie. It pays to persevere. I had the joy of finding my McCallum Gt grandparents headstone in the old cemetery at Stevenston last year just by going there and strolling round. It's was very exciting and there was no one nearby to tell - such an odd feeling knowing I'd passed by the cemetery hundreds of times during my courting days down the bottom end.
tsmith
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tsmith »

Thank you Hugh. Your website has been a great help and very informative about the area - keep up the good work. Its funny because my sister was in Stevenston at Christmas time and sent her to the same cementary (it about 5 degrees) to find any gravestones with Smith on it and was able to to locate some children of my Great Great Aunt & Uncle that I didn't know exists. So it certaintly pays to have a wondering around the local cementary. thank you again